Connecting Macbook Pro to x4 screens and playing x4 different movie files?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by gingerbenn, Oct 13, 2014.

1. gingerbenn macrumors member

I'm trying to find a way to connect x4 flatpanel tv screens to a macbook pro laptop and be able to play x4 differnt movies at the sametime to each of the x4 tvs.

I'm thinking either hardwired via HDMI cables or streaming the movies from the macbook pro to the x4 flatpanel tvs. Been looking into using Plex or VLC but unsure how I could play x4 different movie files to all each tv screen.

Can anyone give me any suggestions on this?

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I don't see the video being an issue, but I'm not sure how you can separate the audio outputs.

A program like VLC lets your choose an audio output device, but I've never tried running multiple instances and choosing a different output device for each video.

3. DavidDoyle macrumors member

I don't think you can drive 4 directly connected screens... The Macbook Pro will drive two external displays only plus the main screen - one through the Thunderbolt connection and one through the HDMI.

Thunderbolt digital video output
    Native Mini DisplayPort output
    DVI output using Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter (sold separately)
    VGA output using Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter (sold separately)
    Dual-link DVI output using Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter (sold separately)

HDMI video output
    Support for 1080p resolution at up to 60Hz
    Support for 3840x2160 resolution at 30Hz
    Support for 4096x2160 resolution at 24Hz

Would you connect two directly say, then use streaming over WiFi to the other two, using DNLA or similar?

Apologies if I'm missing something obvious.

4. gingerbenn thread starter macrumors member

I would only need x1 audio output that would be plugged into a surround sound system. But from what I can tell VLC does let you run multiple instances of the VLC to play x4 different movies at the sametime.

I was thinking if I could somehow link all x4 screens together and share the macbook pro desktop over the 4 screens. Using just the x1 display port to hdmi connection. And then play a version of VLC on each of the x4 screens.

Does that sound doable?