Connecting MacBook to HDTV Problem

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Aquis, Jul 13, 2008.

1. Aquis macrumors member

Hello,

I have a MacBook, a 32" Toshiba 1080p display, a mini-DVI to DVI and a DVI to HDMI. Now, I've hooked the MacBook to the TV using the aforementioned cables, but, the TV doesn't seem to be displaying the image at all, it's just the blue screen which means that it can't find a signal. I remote desktoped the MacBook and it appeared that everything was working fine that end - it had automatically switched it's resolution to 1920x1080 and also knew it was connected to a Toshiba TV - though the TV just wasn't displaying anything. Now I know that the TV and DVI -> HDMI cable are working correctly, because I successfully connected my PowerBook to the TV, everything worked fine. I suppose I don't know that the MacBook and mini DVI -> DVI cable are working correctly, but it would seem that they are, especially since the MacBook knew all about the TV. Does anyone know if there is a software setting somewhere on the MacBook that is...not quite right? Or is this probably a hardware fault?

Thanks!

2. MisterEd macrumors 6502

Sorry for bumping a fairly old thread, but I'm having this problem as well.
    The TV is a Toshiba 37XV505 (1080p) and the MacBook recognises this, sets the correct resolution for it and everything, but I'm just getting no output on the tv.
    I've tried setting lower resolutions, different modes (PAL, NTSC) but I can't get anything to show at all.

Can anyone help? :(

Thanks
    Ed

3. waughmeister macrumors newbie

Did either of you two ever manage to get a solution to this problem?

I've just bought a 42" xv555db screen and my macbook refuses to work with it. I had previously been using a mini-DVI to DVI connector with a DVI to HDMI cable and it worked perfectly with my old hdtv. I'm absolutely stumped! The cable seems to be working because my mac can 'see' the Toshiba (even when the TV is switched off, incidentally...) and I'm able to select a resolution for it, albeit with no effect.

So frustrating!

4. zanaeira macrumors newbie

Hey I'm having the exact same problem, Toshiba XV553DB, anyone found a solution yet?

5. UrFatMom macrumors regular

6. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

I am in the process of doing something similar to the OP, in that I want my Macbook to be connected with my Philips HDTV.

I wanted to ask whether you bought the original Apple connectors (mini DVI - DVI) or where they third party ones? I've already spent £25 on the minidisplay port connector, don't like the idea of spending any more... just for the connectors.

7. waughmeister macrumors newbie

I gave up on the HDMI connection in the end (I think it's an obscure problem with the Macbook's graphics card). However, if you use a VGA connection it's actually not that bad a picture. A second however though...You'll need to use either SwitchResX or DisplayConfig to set up the correct resolution to get a full screen picture. For some bizarre reason OSX doesn't let your Macbook output the 1360x768 resolution you'll need to fill the screen. If you look in your TV's manual you'll find a list of the resolutions and timings that the Toshiba will accept via VGA cable.

Not the best solution but at least it means you can watch stuff off your laptop!