Connecting Macbook to HDTV?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by HappyDude20, Aug 8, 2008.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I have Apple's standard "Mini DVI to VGA" Cable.

Mini DVI to VGA Photo: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v370/WhammX/Untitled-1.jpg

It's a female end and have connected to computers before in the past.

I've look strenously for the same kind of cable but with the Male end and couldn't find it. Not one that would fit into the back of my HDTV. Which is female, needing a male and looks just like the Female Mini DVI to VGA end...either way, this next link is a photo of that female connection on the back of my HDTV.

HDTV: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v370/WhammX/0805081307.jpg

I've just purchased a male/male adapter and have connected it to the female end of my "Mini DVI to VGA" cable and then hooked the other male end into the back of the TV but nothing happened....I should be good to go, even purchased the audio cable but nothing is working...whats am i missing here?

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v370/WhammX/?action=view&current=Photo87.jpg

OR?

Would there be an easier HDMI route?

2. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

If it's an HDTV it probably has a DVI port

mini DVI to DVI should be more then fine

going mini DVI to VGA and some other conversion will make you loose the quality

best

oh ..what TV is it -- i'll be better able to help

3. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

thanks for the quick reply, its a vizio 42 inch

i connected the mac using the mini dvi to vga cable along with using that male/male connector but nothings happening

4. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

okay ... so no DVI on that TV

that's okay ...

we should be able to make due with the VGA

that's adaptor you purchased seems a little weird

do you have a standard VGA monitor cable? that kinda that plugs one end into the monitor and one end into the computer?

a few other things

1. what mac?
    2. did you restart?
    3. are you set on the right input on your TV
    4. do you using the right settings in preferences (this SHOULD adjust when you restart and everything is plugged in)

5. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Open the Monitors Preference Pane and select detect displays. The on the TV there should be a button (or on the remote) that says Input or A/V and go until it says Computer or VGA, then you should be connected.

TEG

6. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

yeah i just pulled out the tv manual now and no dvi, just 2 hdmi ports

i dont have the standard vga cable but did see one at a local electornics store (male each end) for about $10

Either way i will be sending that small adapter back and buying that cable you just mentioned since this small adapter means the mac has got to be squeezed behind the tv.

I have a MAcbook, intel 2, purchased dec. 2006.

i did restart and am def. on the right screen on the menu; the pc/comp sections...even tried AV and HDMI channels just to be sure...

now, not sure about the settings in preferences? under displays or what?

7. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Under Displays there should be a button that says "Detect Displays". If there is anything that says "mirroring" or "extending" then it is working, and you just need to get the TV to connect to its VGA port. The TV Manual should tell you how to do it.

If a new cable doesn't work, use a Mini-DVI to DVI-D converter, then a cable that goes from DVI-D to HDMI and that should work.

TEG

8. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

yes

TEG describes where exactly

9. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

alrighty, back from my testing..

so..

i restarted, did all that, including when connected the computer noticed the hdtv because it was displaying both the pixel number from the mac and also the pixel number from the hdtv... there was even a "mirroring on/off" option which i tried at both options.

sadly, never at any point was there anything on the vizio screen. i've looked at my pdf copy of the vizio tv and it simply stated to connect everything before turning both the mac and tv back on. which i did but nothing. its great that the mac recognized the "mirroring" and even the tv as well...so im assuming the problem would lie with the vizio tv but am completely lost on what to try next..

10. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

try the monitor VGA cable -- which i doubt would make a difference ... hmm

Unfortunately I think this is as much help as i'm going to be -- there eventually comes a point that without being physically there, I can't help.

best