Connecting MacBook to LCD TV

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tam123, May 17, 2009.

1. tam123 macrumors newbie

Hi, i was wondering if anyone could help.

I am trying to connect my macbook to my lcd tv. I've been told i need a Mini-DVI to VGA adapter and a VGA to VGA adaptor. I've located the Mini-DVI to VGA adaptor but i have no idea where to get a VGA to VGA adaptor, can anyone help?? :)

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

The VGA-VGA cable not an adapter per-se, you're looking for what amounts to an extension cord because the adapter itself is only maybe 2-3 inches, which isn't going to connect to the video port on the TV without some more length. Type "VGA extension cable" into google or pricegrabber. Depending on the length you can get it for cheap.

3. zams27 macrumors newbie

Hi Guys...am new to the Mac family...so bare with me. Ive got the 09 Macbook which has the mini display port and i have a viewsonic 32" which i am tryin to connect to the mac...yesterday i got the miniport to dvi adapter from the apple store along with the dvi to hdmi cable...my TV has one hdmi port...after connecting all the cables , the TV only shows my background whats on the mac and nothing else even if i open itunes it still shows only the background on my TV... what am i doing wrong

Here is the link to the Viewsonic HDTV I own http://www.viewsonic.com/products/n3252w.htm

4. liamwillib macrumors member

pretty sure your tv is acting as a desktop extension to your mac. Eg, you can have different things on each screen. (great for multitasking). You will be able to drag windows between the two displays but first you will have to go into system preferences>displays and tell your mac the position in which your screens are set up in relation to each other.

If you want the same displayed on both screens you will need to go into system preferences > displays and there should be a box called mirror desktop. Check that box and both your tv and mac will show the same.

Note: this mirror desktop option will only be visible when your mac is attached to the tv. This is also true when trying to set up the positioning of your screens in extended desktop mode.

5. zams27 macrumors newbie

Thanks liamwillib i will try this out as soon as i get home... will keep u posted..