Connecting MacBook to LCDTV?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by LoriSoCal, Mar 31, 2009.

1. LoriSoCal macrumors newbie

Does anyone know if/how I would be able to connect my MacBook to my LCDTV? Ultimately, I would like to be able to use my wireless internet connection on the MB (to connect to Netflix on-demand) and watch the movie via the LCD display, rather than the laptop screen. Is this possible? IF so, what cables do I need to connect the laptop to the TV???

2. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

It's going to depend on the types of connections your TV will accept. You can get adapters for your MacBook through the Apple Store (online or retail), and convert the MacBook's Mini DisplayPort (or Mini-DVI, if you have an older MacBook) to a DVI connection. From there, you'll need to get a DVI to Component cable (blue, green, red) to connect to your TV -- unless your TV has a direct DVI input.

I also saw a post recently saying that Mini DisplayPort to HDMI was now available, although I don't believe it'll transmit sound.

3. LoriSoCal thread starter macrumors newbie

4. MistaBungle macrumors 6502a

MistaBungle

Well buying an adapter from monoprice.com will be cheap and super effective. I ran my Mac Mini through my 42" by VGA. It was beautiful.

I suggest going with VGA.

5. LoriSoCal thread starter macrumors newbie

specific cables

Ok, thanks for the advice....but can you tell me specifically which cables I need for both audio and video transmission to the TV?:apple: