connecting Macbook to my Panasonic Vierra (plasma)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mossyfiber12, Jan 3, 2009.

1. mossyfiber12 macrumors newbie

I have a Macbook w/ leopard. I would like to watch DVDs and online shows that I watch on it on a bigger screen so it would be great if someone can tell me how to connect it to my Panasonic Vierra TV.

I went to best buy and I bought a Dynex mini DVI to s video cable adapter. An s video cable and a y audio cable w/ 3 male connectors to connect from the headphone jack directly to the TV.

But for some reason I can't get it to work, When I go to system preference and then display- change the res to 640 x 480 60z, I can see parts of the screen on my TV (in black and white) and even then not aligned properly. I also don't hear any sound from the TV when I play songs on my iTunes from this setting.

I couldn't get any other settings to work. I am new to this so any help and a simpler solution would be greatly appreciated:)

2. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

S-Video is probably the worst possible connection you could have chosen.

Does the TV not have VGA, DVI or HDMI? If it does, go with one of them.

3. klempwrsu macrumors member

klempwrsu

You will not be able to get any sound coming out of the speakers with the mini-dvi to s-video cable. You will need to buy some speakers to attach to the headphone jack on your macbook, or use the built-in speakers on your macbook. As for the input, i would definitely use an hdmi to hook it up to your tv. I am not positive, but i think to use the hdmi you will need to get a mini-dvi to dvi adapter, and then install a dvi to hdmi adapter on that. you will probably need a longer hdmi cable also.

4. Tinknock71 macrumors 6502

Tinknock71

You would figure with this day and age that Mac can't add a HDMI port on there computers. Thats the only thing I don't like about Mac's

5. RemarkabLee macrumors 6502a

DVI and HDMI require a royalty licence to implement, DisplayPort does not.

6. Tinknock71 macrumors 6502

Tinknock71

Just add it to the cost of the Macbooks whats a few extra bucks, hell they cost enough!:D

7. RemarkabLee macrumors 6502a

That would also increase the size and complexities of adding another port on the logicboard at the possible expense of another port, or a smaller battery.

8. Tinknock71 macrumors 6502

Tinknock71

I know what you mean but my XPS Dell had a HDMI and was smaller in size 12.1 screen and had better battery life. so I know it can be done and was about the same price as my mac.

9. RemarkabLee macrumors 6502a

Yeah but I bet it didn't look as nice ;)

10. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

It probably wasn't as ugly as the new MacBooks. Apple completely lost the plot with them.

11. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

I love the design of the new MacBooks and MacBook Pros. The MacBook Air not so much; too much metal.

12. Tinknock71 macrumors 6502

Tinknock71

Oh I have to agree with you on that! The Macbooks looks blows the Dell away! My Dell was small but just boxey no style. or light up keyboard. Now don't get me wrong I love my Mac and would NEVER go back to a PC!!!