Connecting Macbook to projector

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Luzzio, Sep 14, 2008.

1. Luzzio macrumors regular

Luzzio

I need to present powerpoint presentations in class once in awhile... and part of it requires me to connect my MB to the ceiling mounted projector (though the port is on the floor). The cable to connect to laptops which they provide seems to be only for PC laptops...

Does anybody know which cable I should buy from apple's list of accessories/adapters for this?

Thanks in advance

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

The cable they are using is likely a VGA cable, not PC only, but older technology. The adapter you want for your MacBook is the Mini-DVI to VGA adapter, part number M9320G/A.

TEG

3. Luzzio thread starter macrumors regular

Luzzio

You mean this? Thanks... although I do hope that picture's just for show... looks way too short.

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

yes, thats the adapter, not the cable

you use a vga cable from projector to the adapter

5. Luzzio thread starter macrumors regular

Luzzio

6. khunsanook macrumors 6502

khunsanook

I suggest a test drive with the particular projector you'll be using (before the day of your presentation). I also have the mini-dvi to VGA connector, but it fails to work with about 30 percent of the uni's projectors. No signal. My research into the issue hasn't found a solution, but has found many other people with the same problem - macbooks and macbook pros. frustrating.

7. Skeletal-dæmon macrumors 6502

I have had no problem whatsoever connecting my MacBook and Mac Mini to projectors through the miniDVI-VGA (DVI-VGA for the Mini) adapters provided by Apple. My college uses projectors from Epson, Samsung, Panasonic and Sahara and none of them have ever given a 'no signal' failure.

The one time I DID have a problem was connecting the MacBook to a DVI projector [Epson] using the MacBook's miniDVI to DVI adaptor - the resolution was locked at 1024x768 despite the projector being capable of 1280x1024.

8. khunsanook macrumors 6502

khunsanook

lucky you.

9. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Your problem is just that your are sending a higher resolution image than the projector can handle. Change it 800X600 for testing, incrementing it until you find the optimal resolution for the projector.

TEG

10. revdrw macrumors newbie

My Mac Won't work it freezes up

I've tried all you've said. My MacBook Pro OS 10.8 either won't work or freezes the computer every time i try.:confused: It is a Dell 3400 MP ANY HELP???