Connecting MacBook to Sony Bravia LCD tv

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by nevrothwen, Jul 8, 2009.

1. nevrothwen macrumors newbie

I really want to connect my MacBook to our tv to play region 1 dvd's and videos I've bought in iTunes. At the Apple Store they sold me 3 cables, 1 Mini-DVI to DVI connector, 1 DVI to HDMI cable and a cable for sound.
    I've got these both hooked up to my tv but I can't get both sound and picture to show up. I have to choose between either the HDMI input or the AV (sound) input. Does anyone know how I can get them both?

2. Simon 5000 macrumors member

I've got a Sony Bravia so maybe I can help.

What size TV do you have? Mine's a 32'', so your situation may be different. I assume the issue here is that there are multiple audio ports, and the port you have it plugged in now is not corresponding to the video port. Am I making sense?

3. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

How many cables do you have connected to your TV from your Macbook? The display cable with the HDMI or DVI doesn't carry any of the audio from your computer. You'll need to have a cable that connects from your headphone port to the corresponding audio in on your TV.

The Bravia has like a thousand inputs, so check the manual.

OKAY: The Bravia isn't where I am atm, but I remember that the HDMI port I had it plugged into had some ports for audio in as well. If you look at the back of the TV closely, you can see that each input has a box around it, whatever plugs into a port in that box will show up in that input selection on your TV.

4. nevrothwen thread starter macrumors newbie

I think mine's a 32" as well as the model number is 32v4500.
    At the moment I've got the DVI cable hooked into HDMI in 3 and the audio cable (don't know the name) in AV3. I've tried hooking them into HDMI in 2 and AV2 and switching between HDMI in 3 and AV2 and HDMI in 2 and AV3. HDMI in 1 is taking up by our harddisk recorder.

5. Simon 5000 macrumors member

Ok, try connecting the HDMI to HDMI 3 on the left hand side of all the inputs (It says HDMI in) and under it there should be a red and white input, put your audio cables in there. Assuming you don't have the red and white cables, those are the ones you need, so take whatever else you got back to the Apple Store.

Actually, if you don't have the red/white cables, you might have optical. Look on the back of the Bravia and try find a input that says Digital Out (Optical).

6. nevrothwen thread starter macrumors newbie

That's what I've done but if I select HDMI in 3 on my tv as input I get the picture from my MacBook but not the audio.

7. Simon 5000 macrumors member

I think the problem is that HDMI is meant to be an all in one audio-video cable, but because your only using it after the adapter has already left the audio signal behind. So either use something other than HDMI, or look in the settings for something that may help.

8. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

There are devices which can add audio from another source to an HDMI signal, but you may be paying $50-$100 for such a device.