Connecting macbooks to imac

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by DennisBlah, Jan 21, 2015.

1. DennisBlah macrumors 6502

DennisBlah

Hi all,

It sounds a bit strange, but is it possible to connect an macbook to an imac and somehow read out the serialnumber of the macbook on the imac?

I guess this might not be the correct forum categorie for this question...

Maybe anyone has an idea?

2. ZMacintosh macrumors 65816

ZMacintosh

do you mean screen sharing? you can find the serial number underneath the macbook on the bottom case.

3. DennisBlah thread starter macrumors 6502

DennisBlah

Hi, no I don't mean screensharing. I know the serial number is on the bottom case ;) or can be found in Apple -> About This Mac

I need to find some solution to programaticly grab serial number from an macbook from an imac while the macbook is connected with an thunderbolt or some kind of usb.

I'm not sure if its possible. I do this with iPhone's and iPads by using 'system_profiler SPUSBDataType'

I'm, looking for something like: 'system_profiler SPHardwareDataType'
    But then for an connected macbook on the imac ;)

4. ZMacintosh macrumors 65816

ZMacintosh

is this for some sort of deployment thing? there may be other more worthwhile solutions for you if you're a bit more specific

5. DennisBlah thread starter macrumors 6502

DennisBlah

Hi ZMacintosh.

Indeed Im devolping a really small application. Its for on my work for the authorization of devices. All devices in our company that are allowed to be taken outside are registered on the authorised person's name in a database.

At the security they check your serialnumber in the database and the database will tell if the device is authorized and to who.

Therefor I made a simple loop through the system_profiler SPUSBDataType to find iPhone's, iPad's and iPod's.

Once the app found one, it will get its serial by using the libimobiledevice library. And will throw the serial to the database.

Right now the persons get at security anf connect their device to the computer. Within a second the computer will tell if its authorized and hy who.

Im looking for the same solution for macbooks.

I did not write all this out because it out of topic and has nothing to do with the question.

Simply said I want to be able to grab the serial of an macbook by using another computer through... For example a Thunderbolt cable.

6. chabig macrumors 68040

I have no idea, but if you could I think it would represent some kind of security concern for the use. I don't think that things plugged into a sleeping MacBook should be allowed to run code on the machine, and I doubt that they are able to.

Wouldn't it be simpler to just put a barcode on the machine and let security scan the barcode?

7. ZMacintosh macrumors 65816

ZMacintosh

well it helps in regards to theres applications and utilities that do this already. however in a different scope. so it was confusing.
    but no there really is no way to do that as intended.

8. DennisBlah thread starter macrumors 6502

DennisBlah

Thats exactly what is happening now. For fraude we took away the barcodes from iphones and ipads cus of ny application.

However I want ti go into the same concept but for the macbooks as well.

As if the macbooks wudnt be ysing deepslerp I could write around and start sending out the serialnumber with a wifi beacon app like... But that wud have its own security risks as well.

There must be some way. But I guess I need the ADT (Apple Diagnostics Team) for this. It must be possible but proberbly with private api's I guess...

Thanks for the replies all!