connecting macs to share resources (CPU, RAM, the such)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by finder39, Jan 27, 2010.

1. finder39 macrumors member

My friend was having some issues with an old mac of his, so he bought a new one. He said that when he connected the two macs to move files from the old one to the new one, something weird happened. Te new one found the processor and ram from the old one and used it as its own resources.

I have lost contact with this guy so i have no way to find out how this was done. I think he said he used a firewire cable between the two macs but am not sure

does anyone know how to do this? I dont think it was xgrid cause it worked with all programs and could see the processors in activity manager. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thank you!! :)

2. tonyburkhart macrumors regular

tonyburkhart

Xgrid would e my first guess... so I'll wait and subscribe as well.

3. spice weasel macrumors 65816

Like tony said, it was Xgrid. But your friend would have had to have it installed and enabled and set up - it wouldn't have just magically happened.

4. finder39 thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Teleca Q7; Brew 3.1.5; U; en) 240X400 LGE UX840)

so xgrid will show up in activity moniter for processors and the such? and he said that it seemed to help with all applications. Not just those ive heard run with xgrid

5. spice weasel macrumors 65816

I really don't know, since I've never bothered using it. It comes bundled with Mac OS X, and the controller software can be downloaded from the Apple developers' site. There's probably more information there.

6. spice weasel macrumors 65816