Connecting MB to Cinema Display

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by srs5020, Nov 12, 2009.

1. srs5020 macrumors newbie

srs5020

Hey guys--
    I'm new to the forum, but not necessarily new to Apple. I have a aluminum MacBook and have it connected via display port to a Dell monitor (have a cinema display on order from macmall due in tomorrow!). My question is while I have the MB connected to the display, is there a way I can have the laptop lid closed and prevent the computer from going to sleep? Thanks!

2. srs5020 thread starter macrumors newbie

srs5020

3. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

I use my MBP closed with an external keyboard, mouse, and Dell 30" Ultrasharp all the time. I had a 23" Cinema Display before that. If you close the laptop it may go to sleep but should wake up again to use the external display.

One caveat is that sleep is very flakey when using it with an external monitor and the MBP in clamshell mode. Sometimes it won't wake up no matter what I do and I have to give it a forced reboot and my middle finger.

Sad because on 10.6.0 it seemed Apple had finally fixed the clamshell sleep issues, but it got worse again with 10.6.1 and the worst it ever has been with 10.6.2.

4. srs5020 thread starter macrumors newbie

srs5020

i installed insomniax after reading the previous thread that i linked to. it seems to be working very well. i have the display port to vga adaptor connected right now. that could be the reason why it was going to sleep before when i would close the clamshell. hopefully i will have no need for insomniax tomorrow when my cinema display arrives. have you used one before?

5. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

Hmm...I was having some crazy wake-from-sleep issues with my MacBook in clamshell mode, too..taking it to the genius bar did nothing as they were just as confused as I was. I had no idea others were having the same issue.

6. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

Sleep is broken on Mac OS X, and has been for at least the last 2.5 years that I've been using MBPs.

The best you can do is to select Sleep from the Apple menu and wait until you see the blinking sleep light on the MBP before disconnecting monitor, power, etc. Even then, it still sometimes fails when you try to wake again with or without a monitor attached.

It's a joke. It finally worked reliably for me with 10.6.0, but -- as I already stated -- has gotten progressively worse again with each point release to 10.6.2.

7. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

Wow, I can't believe that slipped by me this whole time! So weird how it does that. To be honest this is one of the bigger reasons why I'll be getting a mini soon, it drives me nuts that I can't put my desktop machine to sleep without having to do a full reboot. Such a waste of energy and not good for my MacBook.