Connecting MB to Dell 30" display

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by potash, Nov 9, 2011.

1. potash, Nov 9, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2011

potash macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm trying to connect my white MacBook to a Dell 30" U3011 display with 2560x1600 resolution using a Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort adaptor, as the Dell monitor comes with a normal DisplayPort and cable. However it doesn't seem to work, the Dell monitor screen remains blank after connecting it to MB this way. I pressed the "Detect Displays" button in the OSX Display Preference and it doesn't detect any external display. Does using Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort adaptor works at all, on a 30" display? :confused: If not, which of the following options would work (with the native resolution):

1. Mini DisplayPort to HDMI cable?
    2. Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter?

2. DJLC macrumors 6502a

DJLC

I don't think the MacBook supports 30" displays. My MacBook has a hard enough time driving my 20" Dell -- I wouldn't want to see what it'd do with a 30"!

3. potash thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. I have a late 2009 MacBook (Core 2 Duo 2.26 GHz). Just found out from the tech specs at the Apple support page here that it support up to 2560x1600 resolution on an external display. In comparison the mid-2009 and early-2009 MacBook support up to 1920x1200 on an external display. So I expect it would be able to display on my monitor over the DisplayPort connection, but it can't. :( Now I'm hesitated on whether I should buy a dual-link DVI adapter which is required for the higher resolution (seems the DisplayPort to HDMI cable is limited to 1920x1200).