Connecting MBP 15" (and Vista PC) to Dell U2311H?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by klute77, May 17, 2011.

1. klute77 macrumors newbie

I am a post grad art student and most of my work is film or photography. I have a macbook pro 15" bought in the UK about a year ago. I use it only for creative packages such as final cut studio, lightroom 3 and photoshop CS5.

I am looking for a decent budget external monitor and am more or less decided on the Dell Ultrasharpe U2311H 23" as it has an IPS panel and is a good size for fcp work.

I have been doing a lot of research and have a couple of questions if you can help answer any or all of them I'd be very grateful.

1. Which is the best cable to connect the mbp to the U2311H with, a mini displayport to a display port (which the U2311H has) or a mini display port to DVI? If DVI which kind of DVI is best?

2. I also use a Windows Vista HP PC for everything else; internet, email, music, watching movies, essays etc. I have pretty limited space and would ideally like to use the U2311H for both the laptop and the PC and am wondering how straight forward it would be to switch the monitor between both machines?

Would it be possible to just set up the DVI or Display port as the macbook input and the VGA as the PC input and then just switch between them via the monitor itself. Does it have such a capability or would I need extra hardware?

If you can help with either of these questions thank you!

Other info:

The Vista PC is stationary but I need to be able to disconnect the macbook from the monitor easily as I take that into college.

I will be using a seperate keyboard and mouse for each so they are not an issue.

2. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

There are plenty of ways to do it, but likely the easiest will be a KVM switch with DVI ports.

Like this one from Monoprice.

You will also need a Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter for you Mac.

Or, you can just switch the input on the monitor itself by selecting the input. That would be the cheapest route.

3. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

Do you really need the separate Windows PC? If you have space limitations, have you considered just running the MacBook Pro? Can you yank your Windows license from the desktop?

Just wondering... wanted to know if there is a story behind it.

4. klute77 thread starter macrumors newbie

The Dell U2311H has a Display port input isn't that a better option or is the DVI best? Also there seem to be various kinds of DVI and I'm not sure which to go for!

Thank you for the advice on the KMV switch I will look into this if it is not straight forward to do this on the monitor itself.

Thanks again!

5. klute77 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I got a special grant from the UK government for the macbook and software and technically they still own it even though I get to keep it after I finish my MA. At the moment it is only for academic use.

Also I quite like keeping the mac just for creative work as it feels neater that way, helps me focus and stops a lot of junk accumulating on the macbook.

6. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

It will not make a difference; all the newer monitors are DVI-D or (for very hi-resolution models) Dual-Link DVI. The reason I mentioned DVI for the KVM switch is because they are significantly cheaper than their DisplayPort counterparts.

I do not know the selection controls on that Dell monitor, but it might be just as easy to hook up the Mac and the Windows machine via separate cables and just selecting the source at the monitor. That will likely be the cheapest option.

Here is what's in the box:

-Monitor with stand
    -Power Cable
    -DVI Cable
    -VGA Cable (attached to the monitor)
    -Drivers and Documentation media
    -USB upstream cable
    -Quick Setup Guide
    -Safety Information

Keep it cheap buy just buying a Mini DisplayPort Male to DVI-D Female Adapter.

Are you shipping to the UK?

7. klute77 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks again for the useful advice!

Yes I am in the UK and I can get a dell from a UK based supplier at a decent price (about £200) I'mnot sure if it comes with all you mention though!

8. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

Right, just make sure the contents of the box are the same.

Monoprice is a good source for the adapters, but you may be able to source a cheaper version locally.

Good luck.

9. klute77 thread starter macrumors newbie

Cheers I'll check it out with the UK supplier!

10. iammike1 macrumors 6502a

iammike1

I will throw this in. That is the exact monitor I'm using on my MacBook Pro and it works very well. Not as spiffy as the Apple IPS screen but better value for the dollar.

11. Blipp macrumors 6502

As far as picture quality goes I actually prefer my U2311H's matte display over the ACD. Obviously the the ACD wins out with a far superior resolution but with more input options, more USB ports, more versatile stand and a quarter of the price the U2311H is a very strong competitor.

12. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

I actually have this monitor and have a MBP so far away at me if you want. Anyway mDP to DP wasn't that easy to find so i used DVI, no quality difference anyway (I personally use the Apple mDP to DVI and the included DVI cable). As for having to computers connected, the monitor selects DP > DVI > VGA, however this can be overridden by the monitor in its menu.

Highly recommend the Ultrasharp it is a solid piece of kit.

As for the PC just use it on VGA, you wont notice anyway.

13. klute77 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for that. I will get the DVI adaptor if you have had no problems with it. I'll get the apple one also as I've heard a few bad things about the cheaper adaptors.

I just ordered the Dell U2311H tonight not sure when it will come but am looking forward to it!

14. klute77 thread starter macrumors newbie

All this positive feedback about the monitor is great, really excited about getting it now!

15. mrwonkers macrumors 6502

mrwonkers

I bought one of these last week great monitor works fine over DVI but have tried 2 different Mini Displayport to Displayport cables with no success. The MBP sees the monitor but the monitor just keeps going into power saving mode and does not seem to recognise a MBP is connected. Has anybody found a working Mini Displayport to Displayport cable for this monitor and a MBP? If so could you please share what cable you got and where it was purchased from [I'm in Australia]