Connecting MBP to a 1920x1080 Flat screen from XP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vishmac, Jan 29, 2009.

1. vishmac macrumors newbie

Hello fellow smarties,

I have a MBP with a 2.33Ghz, intel core duo, ATI Radeon 1600X graphic card config. and have been happily using it for more than an year now. I installed XP so I can use Solidworks (a 3D design software) on my MBP.

After an year I realized I needed a much bigger screen, so I bought a Dell 24" LCD thinking I can get the Dell marketed 1920x1080 HD output, but I have been unable to get this resolution to work.

This is what I tried, first screen 1440x900 for my MBP, second screen 1920x1080 for the Dell 24". and a whole lot of other resolution ratios, none seem to bring the 1920x1080 resolution to the Dell screen :( the setting results in a big worded screen or the displayed content is displayed in a screen smaller than the entire display capacity.

Can someone tell me how to get the optimal performance out of my Dell LCD?? The customer service at dell asked me to talk to the Apple care guys and I never purchased apple care :(

Thanks!
    V

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

When you have second monitor on, the display prefpane should show up on it. When you do, you should be be able to set the monitor on that. Also make sure you are doing desktop extending, not mirroring.