Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

you-of-eh

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2010
I just ordered a new Macbook pro. I'm going to have a HDTV in my room at school and I want to be able to connect my laptop to it. So I could buy apple's mini displayport to hdmi adapter and then buy a hdmi cable, but that would probably end up costing me like $60. I'm wondering if anyone knows if something like this would work? It seems like it would work but its from hong kong so I donno lol. Anyway, anyone know any cheaper alternative to the over priced apple adapter? Also, I understand that the new macbooks have audio output through the minidisplay port so the adapter has to support audio too.

regieferg

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2010
Just go to Amazon and get one for around 5-15 dollars.

BTW wat is the difference between male and female adapters?

you-of-eh

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2010
Yeah I'll probably end up doing that. It's just that this one I found is the adapter and cable all in one, seems pretty convenient, and cheap, donno if it's legit though.

As for male/female, I think male is the part of the connection that plugs in and female is the part that receives. So male would have the pins and female would have the holes I guess.

you-of-eh

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2010
Thanks for the link, the prices are great, might get a few cables from there. Unfortunately the Mini Displayport to HDMI adapter they sell does not support audio.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.