Connecting MBP to Mixer Options

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Codeseven, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Codeseven macrumors 6502a

I have a question about the best way to connect my MacBook Pro laptop to my Yamaha MG166CXUSB mixer.

Signal path, Roland TD-12->MBP->Mixer->IEM's.

On the MBP, I can get sound out to the mixer from either the headphone jack or USB (might be others but their the only two ways I know of). My mixer can receive that signal several ways that I know of, what I don't know is which way 'should' it should be connected. So far all these connections seem to work (ie I can hear the drums play in my IEM's)....Headphone out (MBP) to Mixer '2TR In' (RCA Jacks), or to 'Line Input' (TRS Jacks), or to 'Insert' (TRS Jacks), or to 'Line Input' (RCA Jacks). I can also use USB 2.0(MBP) to USB 1.1 (Mixer) by selecting 'USB Audio CODEC' under Audio Devices in Toontrack Solo (Superior Drums 2.0).

Is there a 'proper' method of connecting the two?

I don't have much experience with mixers and I really don't know from reading the manual what the proper way to connect should be. I can hear the drums in my IEM's using any of the above, but the loudest and maybe clearest seem to be when using the USB and RCA connections.

I know USB 1.1 must be rather 'slow' but how does it compare to the RCA or TRS jacks speeds?

Also, just for kicks I connected both the USB to USB and Headphone to 2TR In RCA jacks and I was able to play the drums while listening to iTunes on the laptop.

Fun, but properly connected? I don't know. Thanks

Heres a list of the connections and the corresponding Page/# in the Yammi Manual.

http://www2.yamaha.co.jp/manual/pdf/...b_en_om_a0.pdf

2TR In Pg21/#5
    Line Input Pg16/#2
    Insert Pg16/#5
    Line Input Pg16/#4

Thanks again

2. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Use USB in and USB out. The D to A and A to D converters in the mixer should be better (and certainly better integrated) than those in the MBP.

Regular USB is fine for two stereo links.

3. Codeseven thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks firestarter.

I definitely have some studying up to do. I don't fully understand the whole Digital/Analog interaction and how USB works. One article I read suggested using an RCA to USB cable, not sure why.