Connecting MBP to TV...tv is just black screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hummelbee3, Jul 13, 2010.

1. hummelbee3 macrumors newbie

I have a Sylvania TV (model number SRT2420p) and a Macbook Pro. I bought a Mini Displayport to DVI adapter, DVI to RCA, and connected the yellow RCA cord to the tv. In the "game" mode where the RCA cable should be recognized, nothing is happening. I changed the display to all the different display options, and still nothing is popping up on the tv. I changed the display to 1024x640, and restarted the mbp, nothing.
    The mac realizes it's plugged in because it flashes the blue screen when I put it in or out, and the mouse can go off of the screen.
    Is one of my adapters broken? :confused:

2. eng42ine macrumors 68000

eng42ine

Have you tried going into your display settings and changing those? I had a similar problem and changed those around and it worked fine.

How old is the tv? Does it have any HD inputs?

3. hummelbee3 thread starter macrumors newbie

I went into display and clicked all the different display options. If I was supposed to restart to get them to be permanent, I didn't do that. I also, like my post said, put it on 1024x640 and restarted the comp, but it still didn't work. Are there other display settings I could do?
    It only has RCA and S-video :(

4. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

Almost positive your adapters are the issue. I am pretty sure you cannot convert DVI to composite. One is high bandwidth digital video, the other low bandwidth analogue video. You would therefore need more than simply an adapter. You would need a digital to analogue signal converter.

Does your TV not have any other inputs besides composite? Maybe VGA or HDMI?

5. creeman macrumors 6502

You can't convert digital to anolouge with just adapters like that. You'll need to buy a digital converter.