Connecting MBP to TV

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nateo200, Dec 26, 2010.

1. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Just got my macbook pro and I also have the mini display to vga cable and I want to hook it to my flat screen TV....so far no luck...It works on my old windows vista laptop but no luck with my new mac. I go to display settings and click "detect displays" and nothing...Any help? I search for a similar thread but there all from like 2007 and none of them really provided any useful up to date info. I watched some youtube videos and still my TV says "No signal" on the VGA setting..

2. nateo200 thread starter macrumors 68030

nateo200

Thanks but unfortunatly that was of no help to me. I don't need to learn which cable I need to figure out why my TV/MacBook wont work with each other, after reading that entire thread I only found a few suggestions that have thus far failed to show results. Anyone else have advice? This is kind of ruining my plans haha...

3. bigjobby macrumors 65816

have you tried testing the MBP & cable against a monitor (other than your TV) with a standard VGA port? If so, what were the results?

4. nateo200 thread starter macrumors 68030

nateo200

Yeah I took it to best buy and he plugged it into 3 different TV's and monitors and it worked immediatly without any punching in of settings...Now Im home with my Macbook and Ive tried plugging it into 2 of my TV's and a flat screen PC monitor and absolutely nothing....seriously wtf...all of the POS windows laptops in my house can connect to anything they please yet my $1k laptop can't? I wanted to watch a movie with my friends yesterday on my TV but it was only on my MBP's harddrive...We had to watch it on my tiny 13" laptop screen couped up like a bunch of idiots because my macbook and TV wont get along...I just want this to work already idk what to do...I've tried all these cables and what not :(

5. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

do you see the aurora (or your background) or is it completely black?

6. nateo200 thread starter macrumors 68030

nateo200

My TV says "No signal" every one of my monitors has done this. My MacBook just does the blue "flash" or whatever and doesn't detect anything.

7. shingi70 macrumors regular

i'm hoping :apple:TV and airplay are updated so you can push osx screen to it.

8. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

when you plug it in and it flashes click detect displays under the display settings in system preferences

9. nateo200 thread starter macrumors 68030

nateo200

Ugh my MacBook still won't connect...I don't even have a clue where to start :mad::( I've tried everything and when I went to bestbuy again it worked FINE on there TV's yet it won't work on ANY of my TV's...I just sit here for 30 mins hitting detect display and nothing. I've tried 3 different cables and nothing.:confused::confused:is Dr. House on call to diagnose my computers troubles?:D:cool::p

10. JCCash macrumors regular

MBP and TV

What inputs does your TV have? Is it VGA only or is there an HDMI input? Do you have your TV set to the correct source (PC)?

11. nateo200, Jan 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2011

nateo200 thread starter macrumors 68030

nateo200

Okay moving on...does anyone else have any other suggestions? Has anyone had similar issues? Ive hooked it up to a sony wega (sp?) and two Sansui flat screens.

12. AlphaDogg, Jan 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2011

AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

You could have a faulty adapter. When you went to bestbuy, did they test their tvs/your MBP with your mini display port adapter?

13. nateo200 thread starter macrumors 68030

nateo200

Yes.

14. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Try getting a new VGA cable. Is your TV set to take in VGA input?

15. nateo200 thread starter macrumors 68030

nateo200

Yes. I hooked my HP laptop and home built PC both with Nvidia graphics cards to it.

16. AlphaDogg, Jan 10, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2011

AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Hmmmm... What is the brand/model of your TV?

Edit: you should try changing your refresh rate on the display preference pane in System Preferences. It should be in the range of 50-70Hz. Try all of the options available.

17. nateo200 thread starter macrumors 68030

nateo200

SO I called apple and they did a Pram reset and that fixed it and it connected but about 45 minutes into watching House MD on my Macbook is just died out. Called apple again, was on the phone for an hour. Eventually I got up to "senior tech" or whatever that is and he made me do all this crazy stuff and tested the hardware and he thinks it might be a faulty mini display port :( I set up an genius bar meeting..joy..