Connecting MBP to TV

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by OrangeSliver, May 5, 2006.

  1. OrangeSliver macrumors newbie


    May 5, 2006
    Hello, would someone be able to help me, Im trying to connect my MBP to the tv in the lounge, but Im not sure which cables I need. My TV has Red, White and Yellow circular sockets and a SCART input. Which adapters/cables do I need to buy so we can watch movies from my laptop on the TV? Thank you very much.
  2. Anonymous Freak macrumors 603

    Anonymous Freak

    Dec 12, 2002
    Buy the Apple standard 'DVI to Video' adapter, plug an 'RCA' cable from the yellow circular plug on the adapter to the yellow circular plug on the TV. Get a '1/8" minijack to stereo RCA' cable as well, to go from the headphone jack on the MBP to the white and red circular sockets on the TV. The cables shoudl be available at any major electronics retailer, the 'DVI to Video' adapter you'll have to get from an Apple reseller.

    Plug your adapter in, but do *NOT* hook it to your TV yet. (It will default to the U.S.-style NTSC setting, which can harm your TV.) Open up System Preferences, and go to 'Displays'. On the 'NTSC/PAL' window, and select the '50 Hz / PAL' refresh rate, and the 720x576 resolution. NOW plug the yellow cable in to your TV. Now you can change the NTSC/PAL resolution to one of the larger 'standard' resolutions like 800x600 or 1024x768, and it will keep the PAL timings. (If you pick an NTSC resolution, like 720x480, it will screw up the TV display, and you'll have to set it back to 720x576 to fix it.

    edit: link to adapter added.
  3. OrangeSliver thread starter macrumors newbie


    May 5, 2006
    Thank you ehurtley, thats precisely what I needed to know. There is a PAL DVI to Video adapter on Apple's store, should I use this? Would the cables you suggested work with this adapter? Also, thanks for the warning, I have just bought a new TV and I certainly wouldn't have thought of it. One last thing, what are the sockets called on the TV? :)
  4. timswim78 macrumors 6502a


    Feb 8, 2006
    Baltimore, MD

    The sockets on your TV are RCA inputs.
    Yellow = Video
    Red = Right Sound
    White = Left Sound

Share This Page