Connecting MBP to TV

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iGotMac, May 3, 2008.

1. iGotMac macrumors member

Hi,

I would like to connect my MBP to my tube TV to watch some DVDs. My understanding is that I would need a DVI to Video Adapter ($19 Apple one), but I would also need some sort of adapter for audio, correct?

What audio connector do I need, and where would I plug it in?

Thank you!

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

You can plug the audio into the headphone socket, that can also do digital out.

3. bplein macrumors 6502

bplein

The answer to your question about the audio depends on the inputs to the TV.

If you only have stereo RCA jacks, then you will need a cable that adapts from the headphone-out MBP port to the RCA jacks.

If your TV has optical input, then you can use the same port on the MBP, using a optical link. You get the right one to adapt from the TV (typically TOS-LINK) to the MBP. The cool thing is that the MBP port handles both eletrical signals for stereo as well as optical for up to 5.1 audio.

4. FourtyEightFan macrumors newbie

Sweet! I was thinking the other day it was lame that my MBP didn't have a digital out for audio - now I'm enlighten. :D Off to Radio Shack for another Toslink cable and mini-adapter....

~J.

5. asmallchild macrumors regular

I thought if you use a DVi to HDMI cable, you can utilize the TV's speakers that way.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The MBP DVI port does not support audio. Yes some of the new ATi and Nvidia cards support it, but the MBP does not.

7. iGotMac thread starter macrumors member