Connecting MBP to TV ?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jadedxsyn, Dec 19, 2008.

1. jadedxsyn macrumors member

I have a MBP that came with this wire - http://store.apple.com/us/product/M8754G/A?fnode=MTY1NDA3Ng&mco=MjE0ODQzNw

I want to know what else I would need to be able to connect my laptop to a Toshiba TV. On the back of the TV there is a slot for PC connection but it looks just like the TV end of the cable I have - so there's way I can put it in.

I'm very new to Mac so I figured I'd ask instead of messing BOTH my machines up, lol!

Thanks!

2. kylecib123 macrumors newbie

i believe that you are referring to a dvi input on the back of the tv, and yes you should be able to just plug it in.... you may need an extension though

3. kylecib123 macrumors newbie

oh wait.. that's vga. well, same deal though. may need an extension but should just be able to plug it in

4. mbleopard macrumors regular

I know that s-video gives a sharper image than the composite cables, but does HDMI give an even better picture than s-video?

5. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

Umm, yes

6. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Yes it does. Stick with the DVI cable, which should work fine. (That is, assuming you have a DVI connector on your TV.)

7. Shownarou macrumors regular

He's saying that he has a VGA port on his TV. Yes, you can use that adapter to connect it to your television. You'll need a VGA cable, you can pick one up at radioshack, wal-mart, etc. Then, you'll just plug your adapter into the macbook pro, and plug the VGA cable to each end. It'll do all of the work from there.

8. jadedxsyn thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the help guys..

I have another question:

I have this - http://store.apple.com/us/product/M9267G/A - & I'll buy the other cable. My question is with the Apple cable - where do I plug it in? Neither sides will fit my TV - there's just no opening/outlet that looks like I can fit it in.

Sorry for the confusion - I'm totally new at this :eek: