Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Malcolm X

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2013
Hello,

How do I connect my MacBook Pro Retina 15 inch to my Apple Cinema Display 30 inch? Which cable would give me the best quality? I don't know which cable I need.

Kindly thanks for you input.

Malcolm X

Nov 28, 2010
located
You need a Mini DisplayPort to Dual Link DVI adapter, which costs 99 USD or so via the Apple Online Store.

Mini DisplayPort (MDP) / Thunderbolt
Mini DisplayPort is the current digital standard on all current Macs to transfer video to an external display or TV. It has been introduced in 10/2008 with the release of the Unibody MacBook and MacBook Pros and has gradually been adopted on all other Macs.
MDP is capable of transmitting video, and since 2010, audio too. MDP is a miniaturised version of DisplayPort. It is also license free and can support resolutions of up to 2560 x 1600, which Mini DVI and Micro DVI are not able to do.
Since 2011, all Macs come with a Thunderbolt port, which is meant for fast data transfer and also as means to connect to an external display device to mirror or extend the Mac's screen.
To learn more about Thunderbolt (TB) and its compatibility with Mini DisplayPort (MDP): Introducing Thunderbolt
MR_video_out_Mac_Mini_DP.png
MDP adapters and cables can be bought online from:

Also of interest: "What is "Mini DisplayPort"? Is it an industry-standard? How is it different from or better than Mini-DVI and Micro-DVI?"

Nov 28, 2010
located
Wow, that is an expensive cable. Is that the only option available?
Is it worth it?

Kindly thanks for your writing.

Malcolm X

You could buy this then for 69 USD or look on eBay or Amazon for used articles.

A normal MDP to DVI adapter will not work with the 30" though, as that adapter does not support that high a resolution, strangely.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.