Connecting MBPr to iMac via Mini-Display port to hdmi cable.

FatGuy007

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 8, 2012
New York
Currently, I do not have a thunderbolt cable and tired of pouring out money to apple, plus I have a iMac 2010 with only mini-dispaly port. So would this configuration work, since the MBPr has and HDMI port I can plug in the HDMI, then plug in the Mini-Display Port to HDMI cable, and plug the mini-display port into the iMac. Would it work just as the Thunderbolt to Thunderbolt?
Oh and I'll be using Target Display Mode.

FatGuy007

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 8, 2012
New York

FatGuy007

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 8, 2012
New York
A Thunderbolt cable wouldn't work since you have a 2010 iMac. What you need is a Mini-Displayport to Mini-Displayport cable, which will look similar to a Thunderbolt cable but should be quite a bit cheaper.

Something like this: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10246&cs_id=1024602&p_id=5991&seq=1&format=2
Just wondering, are mini-display port as speedy as thunderbolt. like the mission control and launchpad gestures are smooth?
I remember reading an article that thunderbolt cable works with a mini display port device, but a mini displayport cable doesnt work with a thunderbolt, am i wrong?

----------

That will not work. Thunderbolt Macs only work with Thunderbolt iMacs in Target Display Mode. And the MDP to HDMI adapter only works in one direction (MDP > HDMI), not the other way around.

If you want to use your 2010 iMac as external display, you need to look for an HDMI to MDP converter, like the ones Atlona used to offer.
Wouldn't the iMac work exactly the same as an Thunderbolt/Cinema Display?

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
Just wondering, are mini-display port as speedy as thunderbolt. like the mission control and launchpad gestures are smooth?
I remember reading an article that thunderbolt cable works with a mini display port device, but a mini displayport cable doesnt work with a thunderbolt, am i wrong?
Thunderbolt is Displayport + PCI-Express for things like external drives.

For display performance they are both exactly the same.

Your MBP has Thunderbolt ports, but they are backwards compatible with Mini-Displayport. Your iMac only has Mini-Displayport. Apple's own recommendation for the 2010 iMac's Target Display Mode is a Mini-Displayport cable:

Connect a male-to-male Mini DisplayPort cable to the Mini DisplayPort on each computer. The 27-inch iMac will enter Target Display mode and display content from the source computer.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3924

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
Than why did they make 2 different cables that are almost exactly the same thing?
They aren't the same. Mini-Displayport is only display. Thunderbolt is display + data.

For example the Thunderbolt display gives you the display, audio to the speakers, video back from the webcam, as well as USB, Firewire, and Ethernet ports on the back, all over the single Thunderbolt connection.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Than why did they make 2 different cables that are almost exactly the same thing?
If you refer to Thunderbolt and Mini DisplayPort, then that has to do with Thunderbolt being more than just a video transmission interface, it also transmits data between external storage and signal in/output devices.

To learn more about Thunderbolt (TB) and its compatibility with Mini DisplayPort (MDP):
And because Thunderbolt is based on DisplayPort technology, the video standard for high-resolution displays, any Mini DisplayPort display plugs right into the Thunderbolt port. To connect a DisplayPort, DVI, HDMI, or VGA display, just use an existing adapter.

FatGuy007

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 8, 2012
New York
Wait, I have a 21" iMac 2010, I have read from several people target display mode does not work when I can see the option right on the screen?