connecting Mini to Imac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bundy2, Sep 28, 2013.

1. bundy2 macrumors newbie

Hi,

What connection choices do I have if I want to use an Imac as the display for a mac mini? Can I do hdmi>hdmi ? or do I have to find connectors to the little "screen icon" connector points?

cheers

Bundy2

2. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

I think this can be done but never have tried - consider a display port cable from the mini to the iMac. I would gather you would need to select the now attached iMac screen as your video device on the mini but not exactly sure what setting you would have to adjust (video again?) on the iMac for screen sharing.

Maybe you should check the web with a question such as - how do I share my iMac screen with another Mac or computer or PC. See what comes up.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

The iMacs do not accept HDMI input.

Current 27" iMac will accept video in via thunderbolt from another thunderbolt Mac.

Pre-thunderbolt the 27" would accept MDP in (I think that's the right connector)...

It's unfortunate that iMacs don't simply accept HDMI input, but there's a good reason for it - copy protection HDCP... If, for example, you wanted to connect a blu-ray player's HDMI port to the iMac then the iMac would have to be HDCP compliant, which is a huge can of smelly worms.