Connecting my G5 to a HDTV

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by DA3411, Aug 14, 2009.

  1. DA3411 macrumors newbie

    Aug 2, 2008

    I was hoping I can pick the brains of you guys. I have a G5 that I wish to connect to a 20" HDTV. In edition I have a regular flat screen monitor that I would like to use as a slave for pallettes etc. My question is, what kind of adapter do I need? On the back of my G5 there are two monitor inputs, one slightly longer than the other. I got a DVI male to HDMI Cable that allows me to connect the HDTV to the less wide of the two inputs but it does not yield an HD Picture.

    I think what I need is an adapter or cable that would go in the winder of the two slots and then to my HDTV but I dont know what it would be called or what to even look for. Are there two types of DVI male to HDMI Cables, one wider than the other?

    Any help or links would be greatly appreciated!

    Thanks for your time.

  2. SqB macrumors 6502

    Jan 14, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    I'm not 100% sure without a pic, but the wider one is probably a dual-link DVI port.

    Does your TV have a VGA input? If so, you may be better off using it to achieve the resolution you're looking for. I'm assuming since its 20" its no more than 720p, which would be within the capability of the vga cable with a DVI to VGA adapter.
  3. fireshot91 macrumors 601


    Jul 31, 2008
    Northern VA
    I'm thinking it's a Display Port and a DVI.
    Or whatever the Apple Cinema Monitor uses.

    EDIT: Display Connector?

Share This Page