Connecting my Macbook Pro to a LCD HDTV

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Dreamer2go, Oct 5, 2007.

1. Dreamer2go macrumors 6502a

Hello. I searched a bit, and I noticed you need to buy DVI to HDMI adapter or DVI to Video adapter in order for my MBP to connect to my new LCD HDTV.

I was thinking about a DVI to HDMI cable....what are the benefits of that? Does it display higher quality images than DVI to Video adapter?

If my TV is a HDTV, will a third party DVI to HDMI adapter work? Such as these:
    http://www.radioshack.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=dvi to hdmi&origkw=dvi to HDMI&sr=1
    In general, which is the best option for me? Any recommendations?

Finally, I was wondering how you connect the audio from Macbook Pro to the TV...what do I need to buy?

Your answers are greatly appreciated.

2. mykq32 macrumors newbie

Get a dvi-hdmi and you will also need a standard audio cable. Check out monoprice for good quality and cheap products.

3. appie57 macrumors 6502

appie57

Works perfectly with DVI-HDMI cable. Audio cable needs to be at one end the one-pin type that fits into the headphone exit and the other end 2 standard RCA plugs. (DVI does not transport audio, only video). Some twaeking of the resolution may be necessary (e.g. overscan on/off).

4. Not-a-cliche macrumors regular

DVI to Video doesn't do HD, so get DVI to HDMI. DVI doesn't do audio so you'll also need to connect that with another cable.