Connecting my Macbook Pro to HDTV, best route?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by 7isles, Dec 25, 2007.

1. 7isles macrumors newbie

I just bought a new HDTV last week and would like to be able to hook up Macbook Pro to it, once in a while to watch shows I've downloaded. I was wondering what's the best route? I've been browsing around the site and not sure if dvi to hdmi or dvi to vga is better for me. The TV I bought is a LG 42" Full HD LCD TV. the site lists the reolution as 1920 x 1080p. The full specs are here. I'm a lil confused about all the talk of different resolutions and what cable hookup will give me the best picture. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

dvi to hdmi

it wont carry sound though so you will need to hook up a min stereo to rca conversion to get into your receiver most likely

3. 7isles thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't have a stereo/home theatre system, just the TV. My apt is too small. When I move, I might get one. I didn't think I would need another cable, just the one.

4. Eric1285 macrumors 6502

If all you have is the TV (no receiver, speakers, etc.) then you'll need the following:

DVI to HDMI cable (assuming your TV has HDMI inputs)
    3.5 mm Stereo to RCA (plug this into your TV to get sound from the TV speakers rather than the MBP speakers)

Check out monoprice.com for cheap cables. I got my DVI to HDMI cable from them and I use it to hook my MBP up to my 46 Sharp HDTV. Works perfectly!

One last recommendation...get as short a cable as possible. Longer runs cause the signal to degrade, and unless you feel like spending a lot of money on a cable, you'll want to keep it short.

5. macleod199 macrumors 6502

You don't technically need a sound cable if you're happy with having the sound still come out of your laptop. You'll have to have it pretty much on full if you want to operate it with the lid closed, though.

6. anotherarunan macrumors 6502

either that, or just use external pc speakers, might be a mess moving everything around though