connecting my macbook to an lcd tv

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by CanadianDonkey, Aug 5, 2008.

1. CanadianDonkey macrumors member

Hello all.

recently, my dad purchased a nice 52 inch sony lcd, and i was eager to hook my macbook up to it. So, i went out and bought a mini-dvi to dvi cable, thinking that was all i need. Oh, how foolish of me! the tv doesn't have a dvi input, it only has a rgb pc input, or hdmi inputs. can I simply get an(OTHER!!) adapter to connect the dvi to one of those inputs, or am i going to have to go down another road all together?

thanks for your help.

2. RainForRent macrumors 6502

RainForRent

Mini-dvi to HDMI, then HDMI to the tv is your best route.

3. RinCa macrumors newbie

or keep your mini-dvi to dvi adapter and get a dvi to hdmi adapter to go along with it.
    Either way, you won't have audio unless the TV has audio inputs that work when HDMI input is selected. Then you will need a stereo headphone jack to RCA adapter.

4. Freewayjim macrumors regular

Freewayjim

For what it's worth I tried this recently with a 46" Sony LCD and a MBP and the DVI to PC (SVGA) and for what it's worth that connection looked much better than the DVI to HDMI. I could only see the top half of the dock and no sight of the menu bar at all using the HDMI connection, the SVGA connection gave me a proper mirror of the PC.

5. CanadianDonkey thread starter macrumors member

alright, so i went out and bought a dvi->hdmi cable. all works great.

except for a couple problems.

First, I ll try to load up a movie, and make it go full screen, i can't have it on the tv. the video will only play on the macbook screen. the easy solution to this is select the "mirror screens" option, but how can i have it so i can view a large video on one screen, and have a clear desktop on the other screen?

[EDIT]
    Dur... never mind... lowering the resolution seems to help

6. RainForRent macrumors 6502

RainForRent

Enjoy. I have this setup on a 32" Toshiba.

7. CanadianDonkey thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, the 52 incher is curently sitting on my desk in my room. It's kind of a bit over the top, but until we finish renovation our basement, there's really no other place for it. haha

8. RainForRent macrumors 6502

RainForRent

I used the 32" as a multifunction TV/Monitor/PS3 station for college, and that on my desk looked absurd. I cant imagine a 52". Silliness.

Too cool. Enjoy.

9. CanadianDonkey thread starter macrumors member

Behold!!

There is absolutely no room for anything else on my desk, so I have to put my macbook on the stool and sit on the bed.

Attached Files:

10. gmecca2 macrumors regular

It's just annoying

It's cool to say you can do it but really what's the point to hooking up a mac to a 52" tv unless your looking at pictures or some sort of video you don't want to transfer. There usually is no audio except that coming from the laptop.

I've hooked my PB up to my 52" and for random internet browsing and all of that it's annoying.

11. CanadianDonkey thread starter macrumors member

The point is doing it just so I can say I've done it. What's the misunderstanding?

You can kinda see on the sides of the picture there, those brown rectangle things... yep, speakers. My dad made them when he was 18 (about 33 years ago) and the sound awesome.