Connecting my MacBook to my TV, which do I need?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by LotusoftheLeaf, Dec 12, 2009.

1. LotusoftheLeaf macrumors newbie

I just got a new Vizio LCD TV with a VGA port. My old TV used to have a DVD player built-in, so now I have no DVD player. I'm planning on connecting my laptop to my TV to use as a DVD player and so I can watch YouTube videos on the much larger 37" TV screen.

I already have the VGA cable. I found the RCA cables and the audio adapter to get the sound. All I need is the VGA adapter, but I've found two and I'm not sure which is the one I need.

One is the Mini DVI to VGA: http://images.monoprice.com/productmediumimages/48501.jpg

The other is the Mini Display Port to VGA:
    http://images.monoprice.com/productmediumimages/51071.jpg

Which is the one I'd need or would either work with a MacBook?

2. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

If you are trying to use a VGA cable then you will need the Mini Display Port -> VGA.

3. LotusoftheLeaf thread starter macrumors newbie

I have the MacBook now connected to my TV. Is there someway I can set it as a secondary monitor so that I could be watching a movie on the TV and still be using the laptop to browse the web?

4. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Yes, set it to extended desktop mode instead of mirroring in your display preferences. You can then place the video on your TV (secondary monitor) and keep other stuff running on the main screen.

5. Xtreambar macrumors regular

You can also get mini-dvi to hdmi adaptors on eBay for next to nothing (~$5). I use one on my MacBook and it works like a charm.

6. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

You would need either a mini display-port to vga or HDMI (Seriously reccomend HDMI) for the limited time aluminum macbook or a mini dvi to VGA or HDMI (yet again I seriously recommend the HDMI)
    I have both and the HDMI is much better than the VGA. 1080p looks amazing and iirc all VGA can offer is like 720i :/

7. mosx macrumors 65816

There is no "720i" resolution.

VGA can do 1920x1080. The problem is that its analog and tends to have all of the short comings of analog video.

OP needs to get the monoprice mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter and an HDMI cable. No reason to use VGA.

Heres an actual mini DisplayPort to HDMI cable http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10246&cs_id=1024603&p_id=5995&seq=1&format=2

Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10428&cs_id=1042802&p_id=5311&seq=1&format=2

And heres one with audio http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10428&cs_id=1042802&p_id=5969&seq=1&format=2

8. LotusoftheLeaf thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not sure if anyone here would know, or if it's even possible, but when using the TV as a monitor is there someway I can make the TV display a movie in full screen but still use the laptop's monitor for other things? The TV won't stay in full screen if I do anything on my laptop.

9. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

Put the menu bar on your laptop not the TV so the TV is just the secondary screen doing all the work and the laptop is still the powerhouse.

Why would you be watching a movie and trying to do other stuff anyways, tho? :/

10. LotusoftheLeaf thread starter macrumors newbie

I do all the time. Even right now I'm watching TV, chatting with my boyfriend online and posting on this thread. I guess I just like to multitask. :p

11. matthewscott661 macrumors 6502

matthewscott661

I do it, too. I can't just sit and watch tv. It makes me fall asleep. I have to be actively doing something.

As for full screen on just one display, it doesn't really work that way. The best way to do it would only be if you are using Quicktime X. You can just maximize it with the green plus button and it sort of resembles full screen. Only works though if your tv's aspect ratio is the same as the video you are watching on it.

12. Boston Fan macrumors member

Boston Fan

I'm not real up-to-speed on how things like this work, so forgive my newbie question :):

So if I use this cable, I will be able to send BOTH video and sound from my late 2008 Aluminum Unibody MacBook to my HDTV through an HDMI cable?

MacBook --> Monoprice cable (linked above) --> HDMI cable --> HDTV

13. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

Good job, CMD + F
    :cool:

14. Boston Fan macrumors member

Boston Fan

Just bumping this to see if anyone might have an answer to the question above - Thanks!

15. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Yes, that Minidisplayport+USB-->HDMI will send audio over the HDMI connection.