Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macalex2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2010
Basically, I want to connect my computer to my TV to view webseries and TV shows online on the big screen. Ideally, I want something pretty cheap, and I'm wondering what I need in order to do this.
I believe that Apple TV will let me do this, but is there something cheaper, like a cable or something that will do the same thing (minus all of the other things Apple TV does).

My TV is a basic Toshiba HD TV, and my computer is a Macbook (not pro) running Snow Leopard.
Thanks in advance.

A3ex

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2010
Hi,

the cheapest way to got is get an HDMI cable (if you don't already have one) and an adapter mini display port to HDMI (amazon.com etc.). Hook it up to your computer and tv and you can use your tv either as extended display or mirror your display (same picture on both). That will cost you around 15 bucks altogether.

If you turn your tv to the "hdmi channel" and you cannot see the whole picture, there is a button on your tv remote to change the format of your tv picture to 16:9 (instead of "cinema" or "super live1" etc.)

Alex

macalex2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2010
Thanks for the help guys, I know what I'm doing now.
I guess with the audio that'd be another cable or I could just use speakers with my computer? Would there be any lag between the picture on the TV and the sound coming out of the speakers?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.