Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jsalazar2007tx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2009
California
Okay i have a ten year old Sony Trinitron TV. I am trying to connect my Macbook witch has a mini Dvi port to my TV that only has the S-video and RCA inputs. I have the DVi to VGA adapter and a VGA to S-video/RCA adapter. when i plug everything in i get nothing on the tv and my computer does not seem to detect the Tv What do i do? i have been looking and cant seem to find a answer. Anyone?:confused:

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
sounds like the signal is getting lost in the adapter chain.

i think THIS is what you are looking for. has worked for me in similar situations anyway... best of luck!

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
Yup, use the link posted ^.

The Mini-DVI-->DVI adapter only carries DVI-D (digital signal) and cannot be further converted to VGA by a cable connector converter alone. You're need a Digital-to-Analog converter, which is $$.

There is your issue. You cannot go Mini-DVI-->DVI-D-->VGA just by cables, sorry for your confusion OP.

KielderWolf

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2009
Northeast England
Just adding one more thing; if using RCA I'd advise you not to set the resolution above 1024x768, and recommend 800x600. You won't be able to see increased detail in anything above 1024 and I usually find it gives everyone present a headache trying to read small fonts as it is.

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
Just adding one more thing; if using RCA I'd advise you not to set the resolution above 1024x768, and recommend 800x600. You won't be able to see increased detail in anything above 1024 and I usually find it gives everyone present a headache trying to read small fonts as it is.

Beyond this, a lot of older tube TV's don't even like anything above 640x480. Going higher just makes things smaller than the tube can reproduce well and makes for pretty crappy image quality.

MWPULSE

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2008
London
reason being that DVI is Digital, hence D.VI and VGA is analog video. So it wouldnt of worked if you gave it a massage and asked it pretty please! :p

PTP

chino724

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2010
mini-dvi to video on macbook

ok so I hooked up the mini-dvi to video using the video cable tried to detect display dose nothing and it dosnt show up on my tv like its just a blue screen help?

Jawwwwsh

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2010
Hi just to clear up the confusing surrounding this issue your having.

DVI comes in two formats, DVI-D (Digital) and DVI-A (Analogue).

What you have is a mini DVI-D port, which is not able to convert to the analogue based VGA standard, this is where your signal is being lost.

To be honest, connecting a laptop to an analogue TV is not going to be blazing (low resolution+high screen size = bad image quality) so I would advise just leaving it be, and maybe using am LCD panel of HDTV later down the line.

If you still want to connect your Mac to your TV you will need a digital->analogue converter with DVI inputs and RCA outputs. Over here in england such a device would set you back about £50 ($75ish)

Hope this helps!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.