All iPads Connecting my parent's iPad on school wifi.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Bankaimadness, Sep 4, 2014.

1. Bankaimadness macrumors 6502

So I am worry about wifi(s) in generally intercepting info from apps such as facebook/banks.

Is there anyway that I don't have those apps transmit info.. Like when they give you notifications and stuff.

I think they call it push?

2. taptic macrumors 65816

taptic

You can turn off notifications, but I don't know if you can keep the actual data from transmitting across the internet...

3. Geekbabe macrumors 6502a

Geekbabe

Don't do any fiscal transactions on unsecured wifi connections. As far as Facebook etc, you might want to check your school policy on students use of social networks during school hours. ( not sure which grade you are in)

4. Bankaimadness thread starter macrumors 6502

Why?

Are they going to hack in?

5. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

If his school cared they would block those site. I say this from personal experience as a teacher.

6. Bankaimadness thread starter macrumors 6502

Yea I was thinking about this too..

What a weird thing to be bought up.

7. Geekbabe macrumors 6502a

Geekbabe

Believe it or not some schools and companies don't block everything, they rely instead on employee/ student signed compliance agreement and monitoring which can be random or done if a complaint has been brought up.

8. exizeo macrumors regular

And if anything IS blocked, use a VPN or Tor to get around it. Note: I've only done this for education reasons. Lots of actually useful sites are blocked.

9. Bankaimadness thread starter macrumors 6502

I have never heard of a school that block sites like facebook. Youtube makes sense, since that place is a huge bandwidth hog.

10. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

The school board that I work for blocks some entertainment sites, as well as obviously inappropriate things like adult websites. They also used to block social networks. At one point, before they became so predominant, even cloud storage services like dropbox were blocked because they were mistaken for illegal file sharing services.

The basic idea was to block sites and services that were deemed to have no possible educational value, but more recently restrictions have become less strict as educators have been finding ways to bring social networks, blogs, and youtube into the classroom for legitimate purposes. Many teachers create facebook and twitter pages for their classes, as well as youtube channels.

It's sort of like you cellphones used to be banned in schools, but now many schools encourage the use of smartphones as educational tools. Personal technology used to be seen as a distraction in school, but now it's such a vital part of 21st century life that most schools are incorporating it into their programs.

11. Bankaimadness thread starter macrumors 6502

My school has a gym and a game room. There are also various video game clubs around campus.

I don't see why schools have to block social media sites... I don't think any schools nowadays would do that.

I mean what would students do in their free/down time?

12. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

I should clarify that I'm talking about a public school board whereas it sounds like you're talking about a college or at least a boarding school.

13. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

What did we do in school when we had free time before Facebook and the availability of internet outside of the computer lab? We socialized using air and sound as a communication medium, rather than the internet :D

14. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Huh?

Seriously?

I take it you don't live in the U.S. I would assume schools block everything.

15. MyiBill macrumors 6502

You brought it up about Facebook in you op.

16. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

My high school blocked Facebook/Myspace and Youtube (back when myspace was relevant). So some schools do do this.

17. HarryWarden macrumors 6502a

My job doesn't block Facebook, YouTube, or entertainment sites (movie news/trailers) but I'm sure they monitor so I avoid such sites unless using my cell phone's network.

18. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

My high school blocked Facebook back in the day. The teachers had to argue to keep YouTube open so they could use it in the classroom. Students weren't even supposed to have access to the wifi, but somebody managed to get the password and pass it around. We also used proxy sites before they stared blocking those too. Now I suppose they're less restrictive since they use tablets in the classrooms now.

OP, my guess is your high school's wifi has some level of protection so that not just anyone can access it. That being said, it's probably best to use strong passwords for any accounts you will be accessing. Apps may also offer a little more protection than just surfing the web in Safari.

19. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    Well, studying would be a good thing, or doing assignments, etc.

20. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

Schools generally don't want students wasting network resources set up for school purposes on social media crap. Which is why they often block such things on the network level.

----------

Then you haven't conversed with many schools because quite a bit of them, as well as many places of businesses, block all social media and many other sites. For a variety of reasons.

----------

What you think is just your opinion and not fact. And as the schools or their districts own and operate the networks it is their right to block whatever they like. Even if you 'don't see why'.

And at the majority of schools students have little to no downtime. That's for before and after school. At school they are in classes, in study hall where they should be doing school work etc. They have lunch but frankly the schools rarely give a dogs fart about whether the poor widdle kiddies can get on their Facebook during that time since they can go nuts at home

21. Bankaimadness, Sep 13, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2014

Bankaimadness thread starter macrumors 6502

I have huge gaps in my classes. I have a class early in the morning and then one in evening two days a week.

I am sure a lot of students have downtime and I don't want to drive all the way from my school to my house just to drive back again in the same day.

I rather just stay at school to get some studying done and use the gym there.

My downtime is literally about eight hours after my first class. Checking Facebook for thirteen minutes isn't going matter much.

I do live in the U.S. My school doesn't block Facebook or Youtube though. I am just worried about how secured a school's network usually is.

22. Bankaimadness thread starter macrumors 6502

If they want Student accessing Facebook they would block it. In fact, I doubt they would since so many of our clubs on campus use facebook to communicate and convey event schedules to the students.