CONNECTING MY PB TO MY WINDOWS PC?? heLP

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by dg45, Apr 7, 2009.

1. dg45 macrumors regular

iam a new mac user HELP ME OUT
    iam trying to connect my powerbook to my desktop windows pc.

i plugged a network cable from my PB to my wireless router,
    i already have my desktop windows computer connected to my wireless router too.

i just setup a home network on my windows desktop.

AND NOW iam stuck.
    what do i do next on my PB?
    how do i setup a home network on my PB? how will i know when they recognize each other?

also some guy told me at work that i have to use some cable called Ethernet crossover cable. what the differants from a regular network cable that i got with my router?

Please help

2. darkcurse macrumors 6502a

darkcurse

If you're on the same network already, make sure you're both on the same workgroup and make sure you turn sharing on, on the Mac side.

In System Preferences -> Sharing -> turn on "File Sharing" and make sure "SMB sharing" is enabled.

Then go to Network -> your default connection (so if you're using an Ethernet cable then select "Ethernet" if you're using Wifi, select "Airport" etc) -> Advanced -> WINS -> Set "Workgroup" to the same one you're windows PC is using (usually its MSHOME or WORKGROUP).

Then exit out of System Preferences and go to finder. Go up all the way and you should see "Network". Go into Network and you should be able to see your PC there.

By the way these instructions are for OS X 10.5 Leopard.