Connecting my xbox through Airport

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by indridfrost, Dec 8, 2010.

1. indridfrost macrumors newbie

I am trying to connect my xbox360 to the internet by sharing from my ethernet connection. I have the latest model xbox with built in wireless. Also my internet connection is pppoe because i am in Okinawa, Japan. It is NTT/OCN. I called them and they have no information on connecting an xbox directly to their network. If anyone helping me needs more info please let me know and i will provide the info as needed

2. soLoredd macrumors 6502a

Are you sharing the internet from a Mac to your 360 wirelessly? And if so, is the Mac connected via ethernet to your broadband router?

I've never, ever been able to share my internet connection from my Mac to my 360 - over ethernet or Airport. The 360 never connects to Live. I got my 360 in 2006 and tried for weeks to get it to work before finally breaking down and buying an Airport Extreme. I don't know what the hell the Mac does to make it not work but I do know that NAT is a big, big problem for Xbox Live.

Just get yourself a wireless router and make it easy on yourself.

3. indridfrost thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes im trying to connect it wirelessly, and yes it is my mac is connected by ethernet to an ethernet splitter which is then connected to my router. The splitter-router setup is required by the provider and cannot be bypassed. It is a pppoe fiber optic connection.

As for the wireless router i am an active duty military member married, with a child, and currently separated from my family until the paperwork can be processed. So buying a wireless router is is not exactly something i can afford right now.

Ive had this setup work before with an open NAT type, but the connection was not pppoe and im almost positive that this is the reason it doesnt work.

Issue number 2 is that the router setup page is in kanji and i do not read kanji.

4. indridfrost thread starter macrumors newbie

Its astounding the amount of help im receiving on this issue :confused:

5. LinusR macrumors regular

LinusR

6. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I have never tried sharing an internet connection through airport, but reversing your setup I have had some success.

Connect you Mac wirelessly to the interent and then share the Airport connection with Airport for the Xbox 360.

I always this guys video on Youtube useful. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WV4qd1RHmH8