Connecting new iMac to external FireWire audio interfaces

Discussion in 'iMac' started by kimjohnsson, Aug 14, 2013.

1. kimjohnsson macrumors member

Hello!

I am a PC user considering ditching Windows and getting an iMac to be my main music making machine. What I absolutely need it to do is to handle my two RME FireFace 800 audio interfaces (both having 2 8-port ADAT interfaces connected to them), and probably even a third one at some point as well. As far as I can understand, there are a couple of possible ways to go about this:

- thunderbolt -> tb/fw adapter -> FireFace devices daisy-chained
    - thunderbolt -> external PCIe box with FireWire card -> FW cable to each FF800
    - thunderbolt -> thunderbolt hub (is there sch a thing?) -> 3x tb/fw adapter -> FW cable to each FF800

If I'm missing relevant connection alternatives, feel free to comment.

I have no clue as to how much external PCIe boxes cost. Currently my two FF's are connected to my PC to individual ports on a 3-port FF800 PCI card, and this ("star scheme", I suppose) is the connection method I prefer. Before getting the iMac, I will try to daisy-chain my two FF800's just to see if it works on the PC. It should.

In the meantime, I would greatly appreciate any insights you may have of a similar use case involving these particular pieces of hardware.

Cheers,

Kim

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Nope.

Option #1 is your best bet.

3. kimjohnsson thread starter macrumors member

OK, thanks.

Cheers,

Kim