Connecting new MacBook Pro with Thunderbolt/MDP to older TV?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mrat93, Aug 16, 2011.

1. mrat93 macrumors 65816

mrat93

I'm going to college in a couple of weeks and I plan to bring an old CRT TV with composite (yellow, white, and red) inputs. Is there an affordable adapter that'll help me mirror my screen on this old TV? I have a MDP to HDMI adapter already. Do cheap HDMI to composite adapters exist for cheap? What about MDP to composite? Links to product pages would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

No, they don't exist for cheap. The reason is because the signal just isn't there. Therefore, you'll need an expensive scan converter in order to create the signal desired, and for that kind of money, you can buy a new monitor.

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

To add to the above poster's post, your older CRT TV only has a 640x480 resolution, which is extremely tiny. Apart from watching DVD's or youtube on it, it would be of no practical use for the lack of pixels to display stuff.

Definitely not worth the expensive adapter.

4. mrat93 thread starter macrumors 65816

mrat93

What if I were to use a few adapters?

I could use a 2.5mm headphone jack to composite audio cable (relatively cheap) for audio.

I can get a Mini DisplayPort male to DisplayPort female adapter, then a DisplayPort male to composite video adapter, then a composite video cable?

Or would there be a better, cheaper solution if I were to order a few adapters. Would that even work? Sorry, I don't know much about this stuff.

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

A slew of adapters would probably reduce the signal enough for the signal to be too weak to display on the TV or work spottily at best.

Like I told you before though, the TV would be next to useless because of it's screen's resolution, I'll attach a 640x480 image so you can see how little you'd be able to display on it.

[​IMG]

This image about is the biggest size you can fit on your CRT TV, now compare it to the size of your MBP's display and you can easily see why it's just not worth the hassle.