Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thepreludedude

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2004
richmond, indiana
Hi guys. I am waiting on the arrival of my new 24" imac from apple. I have an older 600 mhz. G3 imac that is connected to the internet with a cable modem. After I hook up the new imac will there be anyway i can still hook the old imac up to the cable modem? Possibly use it in another room. Or is there anyway I can hook it up some other way. I know the new imacs have wireless but the old one does not. Sorry if this is a newb question. I did a quick search but didn't find what I was looking for. Thanks.

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
You will need a router with at least 2 ethernet ports. I haven't seen any with less than 4 recently. The modem has to be directly connected to the router, and you can either run CAT5 cables from the router to each of the computers or get a wireless broadcast capable router and have the newer Mac run wirelessly, and the older mac still dependent on the direct hardwired connection. The AirPort Extreme has 4 ethernet ports, not including the WAN port where you connect the modem to it.

JustGretchen

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2008
As was said you will need a router.

You can buy an Airport Base Station from Apple which retails for $179 and has 4 gigabit (REALLY FAST) ethernet ports and Wireless N technology.

Another very nice feature of that router is that it will function as a printer server as well with the USB port it has on the back of it.

You could also buy a linksys wireless G router, save a few bucks at under $60, still have 4 ethernet ports and wireless G access instead of N and you won't have the printer server ability, and do just fine as well.

Your setup would look like this:

cable modem (ethernet cable) Wireless Router (ethernet cable) old iMac.
New iMac would use the wireless connection.

Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.