Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tavilach

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2009
Hey all,

I've got some old Altec Lansing surround sound speakers (4 + subwoofer) that I'd like to connect to my MBP, but I can't figure out what sort of adapter I'd need.

At the back of the subwoofer there's an empty port called "Diag," and two 3.5mm (it looks like) audio cords coming out of an "Input" port. I'm only used to dealing with singe 3.5mm cords, so any help would be appreciated :)

Here's a pic:

geoffreak

macrumors 68020
Feb 8, 2008
You could buy new speakers for the same cost as getting necessary adapters. Just sell them.

rkdiddy

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2008
OC Baby!
tavilach -

Based off your picture you have the input line that appears to have a two 3.5 mm plugs on the end (1 green and 1 black) - assuming that is correct - you would put green into the speaker output port of your MBP and everything should work.

I'm guessing the black one is for an additional source like an iPod.

mchalebk

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2008
Do you have any documentation on the speakers? What about a model number? Is there any indication that the speakers have two inputs (like a switch)? If so, that would lend credence to rkdiddy's suggestions, which seem good to me.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
green is for the front speakers, black is for the rear speakers.
it's pretty standard coloring for surround

If you just want to use the front speakers, no adapters are needed.

if you want to have the left signal come out both the front left and rear left, and the right come out both of the right speakers, you can get a male 3.5mm to 2 female 3.5mm adapter for around $10 (click here for example) although i would just go locally to radio shack or an electronics store to get one.

with the MBP, and these speakers, you will not be able to get true surround from movies or whatever.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.