Connecting Printer to Macbook

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by gotlax24, Jun 21, 2008.

1. gotlax24 macrumors newbie

I just switched over to a macbook this week! And I am totally new to everything being wireless so I was wondering if anyone could help me on how to connect my printer to my macbook. The printer I have is a dell and it is connected to my dell pc which is also connected to my router and and cable modem. If anyone could give me directions how to print stuff from my macbook to the printer that would be great!!!:)

2. cbpps macrumors newbie

cbpps

I am new to mac also but i have learned a little. I inserted my printer disc for mac into my ibook and installed it. then:D I just insent the usb from my printer into my laptop and go to file and print what i want. I love my ibook. hope this helps. tuna

3. gotlax24 thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried look for the printer disk through all our CDs and when I couldn't find it I asked my mom if we ever had one and she didn't know:rolleyes: So is there any other way to connect to my printer?? Or do I have to go to dell and get a new printer disk??? I would prefer not to .. if anyone else knows another way.

4. r88my macrumors regular

Is the printer connected to directly to the router? If so you should be able to add it via the print/fax preference pane, click the plus icon (+) and it should appear on the list, just select it and the mac will do the rest.

5. gotlax24 thread starter macrumors newbie

No, my printer is not connect directly to the router.. only to the pc. What wires would i need to connect the printer to the router??

6. Ryan.Fork macrumors member

Depending on what type of router you have you may not be able to connect the printer directly to your router. To share the printer on your PC with your Macbook, there's a few steps you have to follow...

These steps may vary a little, I'm using a Windows Vista PC and a 12" Powerbook G4 running OS 10.4, both connected to a Linksys WRT54GS router.

To share your printer through your PC, first you have to open up the Printers & Faxes section of your Control Panel, and then find the printer you want to share. Right click on that printer and go down and click on "Sharing." This will open up the sharing tab of the Properties menu. Now, depending on whether you are using Vista or XP, this will vary a little:
    In Vista:
    You first have to click "Change Sharing Options," then "Continue," then check the box that says "Share this Printer." You can then change the share name as you wish and click OK when you are done.
    In XP:
    You do the above, sans the "Change Sharing Options" as there isn't that box in XP, you can go directly to checking the "Share this Printer" and clicking OK.

After you have the printer shared on your PC, then you move to your Macbook.
    Open up System Preferences, then go to the Print & Fax tab,
    Click on the "+" icon, and then go to the "More Printers" button at the bottom of the window. This will bring up the "Printer Browser" window where you will see a few drop-down boxes and a list-pane. In the first drop-down box you want to make sure you have selected "Windows Printing" and then in the next drop-down box, you want to have "Workgroup" selected. This will then display a list of all the computers on your local network running Windows. Find the computer name that has your printer installed on it, double click on that computer, click on the printer. If it hasn't recognized the printer model, you may need to select it if its available as an option. Then click choose. You can then close the windows and you should be ready to print to your printer attached to your PC using your Macbook.

If you are running a firewall or all-in-one security suite, then you may need to open up the printer sharing or sharing port on the firewall software (or maybe the router), so if you have any trouble finding the printer with your Macbook, let us know :)

7. gotlax24 thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay so I did everything you said and it looks like everything was good and then when i went to print a document and it says its printing but my printer just makes a noise like its about to print and on my PC it will just say the printing of the document is complete when nothing has even come out. I checked my printing queue and there is nothing there so the computers defiantly think its printed the document. I Know my printer has ink and everything. Do you know how I can fix this?