Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zach ct

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2011
I just got a macbook, I have my printer connected to a laptop with windows vista, there is also a Pc in the house with XP, all connected through a 'TP-Link' network.

How can i make this printer appear and print for all computers in the house by use of the network?

I have a spare network key which might be of use inorder to connect the printer to the network?

Any advice is well apreciated!

Thanks, zach

zach ct

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2011
Is this the wrong place to ask this question? if so please direct me as i am new to this site,
thanks.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Step 1: Share the printer from your Windows computer.
Enter the following google search terms:
share windows printer

In the top 10 results, I see instructions for XP and Vista, hosted on Microsoft's website.

I also see an Apple article with the title "Mac OS X: Cannot locate a shared printer". You might want to read that if you run into problems.

Step 2: Connect to the shared printer from your Mac computer:
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3049
Found by googling: mac share windows printer

I have a spare network key which might be of use inorder to connect the printer to the network?
I don't understand what you mean by a "spare network key".

Do you mean the password or passphrase used to join the wireless network? If so, there's no such thing as a "spare": everyone joining the wireless network uses the same one.

Please explain how you used any other "network key", such that you now have a spare one left over.

jekyl

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2011
Mid-Michigan
I'm kind of confused by this as well. I generally prefer to run a print server for the printer. This can be as easy as plugging a "network printer" into a LAN port on the router, or plugging a USB printer into a USB port on the router (if the router has USB ports) or running a print server device between the printer and router (this is what I did, I have an old LaserJet 4MP I'm kind of fond of). I've always found sharing storage and printers through a computer to be awkward and inconvenient.

zach ct

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2011
I think 'internet key' is the correct term not network key. I have a spare one as i used it for my Pc before I got my MacBook.

Is it possible to buy a female to female usb adaptor and plug the usb printer to the internet key?.. and show up on all computers in the network? i need this printer to run independently from any laptop or pc.

Connecting the printer to the router is not possible due to space and location.

Thanks for your help ill look into the sites and suggestions!!

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
I think 'internet key' is the correct term not network key. I have a spare one as i used it for my Pc before I got my MacBook.

I don't know what an "internet key" is, either.

I have DSL for my internet connection. It uses a login and password to connect to my Internet Service Provider. No keys.

I have at least a half dozen different computers connected to my DSL modem. They need no internet keys, either. The wireless ones need a wireless passphrase, but that's not a key: all the devices use the same passphrase.

I suspect you'll have to eventually describe your network configuration and topology (what connects to what). Not sure an "internet key" would be needed for a printer, without knowing your network config and topology.

EDIT
Your description of plugging the printer into the internet key suggests the "internet key" is a physical thing. Maybe post a photo of it, and tell us who makes it, and what internet service provider it's for.

Googling for "internet key" finds this device:
http://apcmag.com/three_internet_key.htm

I don't think you'll be able to connect it to your printer. I don't think it's relevant to the question of sharing a printer from Windows to a Mac.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.