Connecting Printer

Discussion in 'iMac' started by perezjuanf, Oct 15, 2012.

1. perezjuanf macrumors member

I have a local network my computer is an Imac with a Windows7 Boot Camp I also have a Lap Top all of them they comunicate wireless to an Apple Time Capsule, it has a USB printer, I am planning to change the printer to a wireless one and not being an expert in Networking, I would like to know if the computers will be able to communicate with the printer directly without needing to go throu the router

2. DoubleVision19 macrumors member

Provided that your printer will have a static IP address, you should be able to send print jobs to it. I do it with my Epson WF645 all the time.

3. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

Easy answer: No, a standalone network printer will connect to the same network as the computers, i.e., your computers will communicate with the printer through the router.

Hard answer: Yes, you could set the printer up in "ad hoc" mode, but it's a PITA to use that way. Steer clear and just use the network printer as the good lord intended, connected through your network :D

Any particular reason not to keep the USB printer you have connected to the Time Capsule as your network printer?

4. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

You do that separate from your existing network IP addressing? Without going through your network router? Just curious. What's the benefit to doing that?