Connecting PS3 to Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Ash9414, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Ash9414 macrumors 6502

I've been searching for quite a while but the results always seem to be rather vague; some people are successful, others are not. Anyway, is it possible to connect a PS3 to either a MacBook Pro which could then be outputted onto a display, or straight to the Cinema Display itself?

It would be really convenient if I could have everything running off of one display instead of having to buy another just to use for the Playstation.

Thanks in advance.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You'll need a video capture device, like an EyeTV. In some cases, there is noticeable lag that can make the game harder to play to unplayable.

3. visim91 macrumors 6502

Directly to the cinema display shouldn't be a problem. In fact, as I recall, there was a thread here a few weeks ago about this. Use the search function, I'm sure you'll find it.

4. Ash9414 thread starter macrumors 6502

I've looked through pages and pages, and still can't find anything of use. :/

Sorry if I'm being incompetent.

5. visim91 macrumors 6502

I'm not certain what you are looking for anymore.

I just stumbled across your old thread. In there lie links to the company (Atlona) which produces necessary equipment for the PS3 connectivity you do desire. As far as I can tell, this can indeed be purchased in the UK. If not directly from their website, then somewhere else. Shop around.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1286651&highlight=cinema+display+ps3

6. skorpien macrumors 68020

For the price of the adapter or other hardware, you might as well just purchase a small TV or 1080p monitor and use that with your PS3. You won't suffer lag and you'll be able to use the full 1080p from your PS3 (I may be mistaken, but I believe the maximum resolution you're able to output with that Atlona adapter is 720p).

7. visim91 macrumors 6502

They have updated their lineup, I think there is 1080p compatibility. However, I agree, if not for space constraints, a separate TV for console gaming would be a more viable option.