Connecting R to Sequel Pro

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Florko, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Florko macrumors newbie

Hey guys I am currently trying to connect Sequel Pro to R, I have been at it for a week now and have been trying so many things and downloaded a inch of other programs in an attempt to connect them and now I'm completely lost. I am new to this stuff. Please help!!

2. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

Pardon my ignorance as to the obvious, but what exactly is "R"?

Just a thought offered to the programming gods (not the OP) -- we regrettably live in a world of acronyms, some so silly it seems like a foreign language at times. But a single letter acronym? Have we come to this? R? :p

3. lucidmedia macrumors 6502a

In the context of programming languages, the only single letter names NOT in use according to Wikipedia are (not counting things like ++, # or ! in the name):

A
    H
    I
    N
    O
    P
    U
    V
    W
    X

of course, all of these languages were named before google. New languages are being given far more searchable names.

R is a language for statistical computing and graphing. It is a derivative of S which has been around since the mid 1970s. You can use languages like C and C++ to manipulate R objects.

4. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

Lucidmedia - that was rhetorical, unless you truly are one of the programming gods. ;) Just for kicks, I looked up "B" and assumed it was short for BASIC but found out it was a actually a code base for mainframes developed by Bell Labs in 1969 and is nearly extinct as it has been replaced by no other than it's alphabetical successor, C. OK? GTG!

(kidding with you and the OP all along) :cool:

Seriously, back to the OP's actual question, I was able to find this for you (ODBC driver as Data Source, similar to Cold Fusion and Oracle connectivity in my experience, but no direct experience with R so hope this at least gets you in the right direction):

Source: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9947797/odbc-driver-to-connect-sequel-pro-to-r

-jim

5. Florko thread starter macrumors newbie

I had previously found that same program but my mac is a 10.7 while the most upgraded verso not that program is 10.6 and when I download it I can't seem to get it to run.

thanks for your help

6. Florko thread starter macrumors newbie

So I guess a new question would be how to I open ODBC connector.. It downloads as a TAR file

7. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

On a Mac? Assuming you don't have any popular GUI archiver installed:

Open a terminal window (Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal.app) then go into the directory where it lives and type in the command "tar xopf file.tar" to open the tar file. The contents will be extracted to the directory that contains the tar file.

Otherwise have you tried to simply open the file via a Finder window? If that doesn't work then download GUI tar at http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/14503/gui-tar which is easy to use.