Connecting rmbp to iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Meister, Dec 7, 2014.

1. Meister Suspended

Meister

Couldn't get the answer elsewhere:

If I connect a macbook (2013) via thunderbolt cable to a iMac (2010), can the macbook use imac as a screen and use the imacs ports (bluetooth,usb, ethernet, firewire)?

2. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

No, in fact it will not work on a 27'' 2010 at all with a Thunderbolt cable. It will only work with a Mini DisplayPort cable.

On newer iMacs that will work with Thunderbolt there still isn't any port sharing.

3. Meister thread starter Suspended

Meister

Thx for the answer!
    That's a downer. :(

What year does the iMac have to be from for the screen to work?
    What's :apple:s excuse for portsharing not working?

4. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

27'' with Mini DisplayPort (2009-2010) or any with Thunderbolt except for the retina (2011-present).

Moving those 3-year-old Thunderbolt displays ;)

5. TheBearman macrumors 6502

You can use a mini-display port cable between the two to do screen sharing, I do now. The rMBP will use the display-port cable and a TB cable in the same port, the older iMac can only support the display-port cable.

Search on target display mode. You'll only be able to use the display, but that does give you a fair amount of additional real-estate.

6. robgendreau macrumors 68040

Actually, since the mini display port cable is cheaper, it's a Good Thing. Rarely do you hit an Apple option that is LESS expensive. :eek:

As for port sharing, meh. Not high on the list for most folks. But I used my 2010 a lot with another computer, and depending on what your needs you can accomplish a lot with over your network with VNC or just switching back to the other machine. It had firwire and I used the HD connected to it over the network, for example.

7. Meister thread starter Suspended

Meister

Not if you already have a tb cable. :(

8. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

I could imagine almost anyone would want port sharing.

But Thunderbolt Bridge could get the port sharing job done. Connected drives mount just like servers on the network. I do this a lot with my headless Mac mini connected with Thunderbolt to share a drive that's connected to the iMac.

Exactly. I was in the same dilemma back when I wanted to use my 2010 as a display. But Mini DisplayPort cables can be found cheaply.