Connecting sound from my IMAC to my TV

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by maildude666, Apr 1, 2011.

1. maildude666 macrumors newbie

So there is only a headphone audio jack on the back, so is it really worth it to get the connectors to go to digital audio, or would the basic rca connector be better? Basically is the content coming out of the headphone jack digital audio content, or is it just basic audio and I would be wasting my money?

2. simsaladimbamba

It is digital, and if your TV as a digital optical audio in, the quality will be better and you will have more channels.

3. SevenInchScrew macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew

Assuming your TV has an optical input, just spend a whopping $2.25, and use one of these....

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10229&cs_id=1022902&p_id=1557&seq=1&format=2
    Yes, you can get 5.1 channels OUT of the iMac, but once it gets to the TV it will be lost. Most TVs only have a couple speakers, so if the audio stops there, it will not be in surround. Also, many TVs will not passthrough 5.1 to the optical output. Besides, if you were going to output the 5.1 somewhere other than the TV, you might as well just skip the TV, and send it right to a receiver directly.

But yes, maildude, if all you want is to have a nice, clean signal from the iMac to the TV, that cable I linked above will do the trick just fine.

4. maildude666 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for all the help! I went with the $2.25 connector and will connect to my receiver to get the surround sound. Thanks again!!!