Connecting Tape Deck - No Sound

Discussion in 'iMac' started by scoostraw, Feb 14, 2018.

1. scoostraw macrumors newbie

Simple question, but I have not done this before.

I want to connect an older stereo cassette deck to my iMac. I connected the line out from the deck to the audio input jack on the iMac. With the tape playing, I can "see" the audio signal in Preferences > Sound > Input. It stops and starts when I pause and play the tape, so it would seem the signal is there ok.

However I have no sound from the speakers. Audio from browsers, Audirvana etc. are fine from the speakers.

Am I doing this right?

2. SecuritySteve macrumors 6502

SecuritySteve

I think the mac might be confusing the device as a mic. I'd look into seeing if you could 'record' the input from the device, and then play it back from that recording to verify.

3. jerwin macrumors 68000

what exactly are you trying to do?

if you want to record from the tape, use something like audacity.

4. vertical smile macrumors 68020

vertical smile

I think you are right.

With out software out output the input, you would be able to hear it.

Exactly.

To the OP: I can't remember the name of the software that I used to copy my vinyl to mp3, but it is in the Mac App Store. There was a couple of when I did a search, and I think I picked a free to try one, then purchased it after seeing the results.

I am sure there are plenty in the store, and probably some free ones for the basic payback that you are looking to do.

If you want to use Apple's software, I think Garage Band would work for this I think. At a minimum you are make a copy of the cassette, and play it back later.