Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

ofarlig

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 23, 2015
Sweden
I am getting the new 13" MBP and I will also get an eGPU just to test some stuff with. I then wondered something, how does the MBP handle multiple connected thunderbolt cables all being able to deliver power? I am looking at the Razer Core X which can deliver up to 100W of power, and I also have a USB-C dock I use for my peripherals which can deliver up to 80W.

I am guessing the MBP won't fry itself if I connect it to both of them at the same time but where does it draw the power from? Is it the first one connected? The last one connected? A little bit from both?

Anyone know how they handle scenarios like this?

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
If you connect multiple power sources, the MacBook will choose the best-suited one to charge from. Apple doesn't say how the 'best-suited' one is determined, but it will probably pick the highest wattage.

Reactions: JTToft

ofarlig

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 23, 2015
Sweden
If you connect multiple power sources, the MacBook will choose the best-suited one to charge from. Apple doesn't say how the 'best-suited' one is determined, but it will probably pick the highest wattage.

Ahh, interesting, might have to test it out when I get it then. Thanks for the answer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.