Connecting TC To Existing Wireless Network

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by hayleywow, Apr 1, 2013.

1. hayleywow macrumors regular

hayleywow

Hi Guys,

I have read loads of threads but still can't find the answer, I used to have my TC connected to "My" BT Broadband, but I have since canceled that as my landlord has install wifi in the house. I have the SSID and Password but for the life of me I can't get the TC to connect to it.. please help...

I will happily extend the existing with the TC but don't know how to do that either, all the instructions I find are for the older version on Airport Utility.. I'm using 6.2

Please can someone helpppppppp

Thanks

Hay x

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Here is where you need to go in Airport Util. You want to extend the network.

Here is the deal though, for this to work the landlord's wifi router will need to support WDS, and it might not. Then even if it does, often using WDS between different brands just does not work well.

[​IMG]

3. hayleywow thread starter macrumors regular

hayleywow

I've tried doing that but the light on the TC just flashes amber..

Is there anyway to not connect it to the wifi but so that I am able to backup my MBP? with Time Machine?

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes, you can do that. Just set it up as a normal wireless network (not extended). The amber light will flash because there is not Internet access, but you will still be able to login to the TC wirelessly and backup. I believe you can click on the amber light in Airport Util and tell it to ignore the error and stop the light flashing.

But you will have to jump back and forth between the landlord's wifi for Internet and your TC wifi for backup. It will work though.

5. hayleywow thread starter macrumors regular

hayleywow

I've managed to get it to connect to Landlords Wifi no probs, and the light is now green :)..

But when I click on the TC in finder - Finder seems to crash/restart

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Excellent!

Do you have any data on the TC that you can't lose? I would start Airport Util erase the TC disk, then start a fresh backup.

[​IMG]

7. hayleywow thread starter macrumors regular

hayleywow

I've tried that but get this message:-

The backup disk image “/Volumes/Data/Hayley’s MacBook Pro.sparsebundle” could not be created (error 60).

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Make sure Time Machine is off on your computer, then try a reboot of the TC and try to erase the disk again from Airport Util.

Also do a restart of your computer.