Connecting the dots: An explanation on recent OS X technologies?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by elppa, Jun 11, 2008.

1. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

Apple seems to building, acquiring and investing in some very interesting new technologies.

Please can someone with more technical expertise than me explain how Apple may bring together the following in a way the rest of us may be able to better understand:

[1] D-Trace (as in optimisations on existing code)
    [2] NS Operation and NS Operation Queue (two new APIs introduced in Leopard to help with parallelism)
    [3] LLVM
    [4] PASemi's Intellectual Property
    [5] Grand Central
    [6] OpenCL

to create real advancements Snow Leopard?

Obviously without invalidating your NDA (if applicable). I'm not trying to get anyone in trouble here! Only talk about the last two if you have no inside knowledge.

I am really intrigued about this Snow Leopard or rather, the lack of information we have about it at the moment. The no-new-features I believe is a total smoke screen. Apple wouldn't announce more than a year out they have no new features if they don't have something good up their sleeves.

Look forward to seeing the replies.

EDIT: If you believe it is simply impossible for Apple to achieve any major breakthrough with these technologies then please state why. I'd be interested to hear that as well.

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Apple is focusing on one thing, and one thing only with the stuff you mentioned - making it far easier for programmers to take advantage of the massive parallelism offered by the latest chips from Intel. Look at the rumors and road maps, and you'll see that Intel's moving fully into the multicore world, but Mac OS X does not yet take full advantage of it. It's much better than it used to be, yes... but still not perfect. These new technologies will make it darn near perfect.

The ideal is to have a situation where programmers that could make their programs benefit from parallelism without much effort on their part, besides making a few library calls. This is what these 6 technologies, when used together, aim to do.

3. elppa thread starter macrumors 68040

elppa

Thanks. I suppose Microsoft is also aware of this with their Singularity Project, although when Singularity will result in a shipping product is unclear.

Focussing on the challenge (and potential benefit) of parallelism seems a lot more important than multi touch at the moment.

4. elppa thread starter macrumors 68040

elppa

The first really insightful explanation I have read on OpenCL and Grand Central is available here. Just a snippet for anyone interested: