Connecting Thunderbolt device to two Macs...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Killerbob, Aug 7, 2014.

1. Killerbob macrumors 6502a

I bought the Sonnet Echo Express III-D box some time ago, have two cards (a Sonnet Tempo Pro and an Accelsior card) in the Echo box, and I access them via TB on my nMP.

Now I am getting a new MBP, the 2014 version, with TB2 ports, and I wonder if I can connect the Echo box (via the two TB2 ports) to both the nMP and the MBP at the same time?

Or, said in another way, would anything happen if I did so?

2. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

No, that would be a bad move. Each machine has it's own bus.

3. ColdCase macrumors 68030

That would be like connecting the PCI bus of both machines together and unless the two machines are designed for it, results are unpredictable. Probably a disaster, as there can be only one master/host. But perhaps the TB ports have some protections built in. You may be able to put one machine into disk slave mode (making just another device on the bus), but I don't think thats what you want.

4. Killerbob thread starter macrumors 6502a

No, what I wanted to do was access the Sonnet Echo box from both computers, the nMP and the MBP. It would be a much faster way to share files than off my NAS.

5. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

It won't work, and will likely damage your Macs or the Echo box...

6. Killerbob thread starter macrumors 6502a

7. Alrescha macrumors 68020

Thunderbolt is not like USB. It is perfectly valid to connect two Thunderbolt hosts together for IP over Thunderbolt, or for Target Disk Mode. I know nothing about the Sonnet box, however.

A.

8. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

It's not just valid... it's wonderful!